NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

*** Dale Jr. has concussion, out 2 races ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy *** Dale Jr. has concussion, out 2 races ***

Dale Jr. has concussion, out 2 races

<!-- galleryList size--><!-- photo --><!-- video --><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<!-- Need to populate ID by BE -->

<!-- Blurb div -->Dale Jr. discusses the concussions that sidelined him<!-- Needs to come from BE -->

<!-- GALLERY --><!-- gallery -->

<!-- -->

Updated Oct 11, 2012 3:24 PM ET

CONCORD, N.C. (AP)

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two races with his second concussion in the past six weeks, ending the championship chances of NASCAR's most popular driver.

Up Next

CUP: Dale Earnhardt Press Conference Part 2
Rick Hendrick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. answer questions regarding confirmation that he will be out for the next two Chase for the Cup races following a diagnosed concussion from the last lap wreck at Talladega last weekend.

CUP: Dale Earnhardt Press Conference Part 2

Rick Hendrick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. answer questions regarding confirmation that he will be out for the next two Chase for the Cup races following a d... More Rick Hendrick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. answer questions regarding confirmation that he will be out for the next two Chase for the Cup races following a diagnosed concussion from the last lap wreck at Talladega last weekend.
Date 16 hrs ago,Duration 6:12,Views 2319
Video by: Speed Channel

The first concussion, suffered in a crash during an Aug. 29 tire test at Kansas, went undiagnosed until Wednesday, when Earnhardt was examined in Charlotte for lingering effects from Sunday's crash at Talladega.
''I knew having those two concussions back to back was not a good thing,'' he said Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. ''I knew to go see someone whether I wanted to get out of the car or not.''
Hendrick Motorsports said Earnhardt will sit out races Charlotte and Kansas, and Regan Smith will replace him in the No. 88 Chevrolet.
Earnhardt, who celebrated his 38th birthday on Wednesday, was injured in a 25-car, last-lap accident Sunday at Talladega. Because he was able to drive his car away from the accident - teammate Jimmie Johnson even caught a lift on the window back to the garage - Earnhardt was not required to go to the care center for an examination at the time.
Immediately after the race, he called restrictor-plate racing ''bloodthirsty'' and said he no longer had any desire to compete at Daytona and Talladega.
The wreck was at least the second hard hit Earnhardt has had this season. He struck the wall extremely hard during the Goodyear test at Kansas when his right front tire failed, an accident driver Brad Keselowski tweeted about moments afterward.
Earnhardt, who attended a Washington Redskins exhibition game later that evening, was asked Thursday why didn't he seek attention after the Kansas accident.

LATEST ON JUNIOR

''Too stubborn'' he said. ''With the Chase coming up, if I was to volunteer myself for medical attention, I didn't know how difficult it would be to get back in.''
He added: ''I knew something was not right. But I decided to just push through. I'd had concussions before.''
Dr. Jerry Petty, a neurosurgeon who consults for NASCAR and also personally treats Earnhardt, said the driver was honest about his symptoms over the last six weeks. Earnhardt underwent an MRI on Wednesday and tests came back normal with no damage.
''He had no amnesia after either incident, which is very important,'' Petty said. We'll want to give him four, five days without a headache,'' and then they'll try to invoke a headache to see how he reacts before clearing him to race.''
Said Earnhardt: ''I feel perfectly fine, but I don't want to keep getting hit in the head.''
Earnhardt earlier this season snapped a 143-race winless streak dating to 2008, and many believed he was in the best position in years to finally win his first Sprint Cup Series championship. But he had a mediocre start to the Chase for the Sprint Cup and left Talladega ranked 11th in the field.
By sitting out the next two races, he'll most certainly finish last in the 12-driver Chase race.
Earnhardt will also end his streak of 461 consecutive starts, which is the fifth longest active streak in the Sprint Cup Series.

CUP: Dale Earnhardt Press Conference - Regan Smith
Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks about Regan Smith replacing him in the #88 for the Charlotte and Kansas races.

CUP: Dale Earnhardt Press Conference - Regan Smith

Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks about Regan Smith replacing him in the #88 for the Charlotte and Kansas races.
Date 16 hrs ago,Duration 0:55,Views 791
Video by: Speed Channel

NASCAR strengthened its commitment to keeping drivers with concussions off the track in 2002, in part because Earnhardt admitted he was unable to fully concentrate or communicate with his crew chief after an accident at California. He self-diagnosed himself with a concussion, which he revealed weeks later.
NASCAR then said doctors at infield care centers could require drivers to undergo CT scans or MRIs if they suspected a concussion. Clearance to race after suffering a concussion is not given until after a driver obtains a medical release.
Nationwide Series driver Eric McClure missed six weeks this season with lingering effects of a concussion suffered at Talladega. McClure said the concussion he sustained in the May 5 race was the third of his career, one of the main reasons his doctors and NASCAR officials made him sit out for an extended period of time.
''There's not really a set timetable for those things and that's been the challenging thing,'' McClure said after his June return. ''That's what kept me from coming back was the lingering symptoms. I really felt a couple of weeks ago, after the first two weeks of being away from the track, and having total brain rest, that I was ready. But (my doctor) felt like we needed to wait, and I respect that opinion.''

Last edited by Space; 10-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I fear this is worse than is being discussed. Jr, amougst others, should be considering this as a potentially career ending injury. Concussions are no joke. And other athletes in other sports don't have 200mph consequences for post concussion problems. Apparently Jr has a history of concussions making it a whole lot more serious. Need it be mentioned that his father died from internal head injury? I don't want Jr Nation to come to an end, but it might be time for Jr to hang it up. Obviously, this hurts me.

A great opportunity for Regan Smith to get his career back on track when he replaces Junior in a Hendricks car for the first time. This will be his best ride ever - the stakes have never been higher for Regan. And just-out-of-rehab reinstated AJ Allmendinger get another shot and the brass ring for Phoenix Racing. I hope both drivers can make the most of this opportunity!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well hopefully he will be back better than ever.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

One concussion, even if it was 20 years ago, makes you susceptible to another one. No one can prove weather people who get that first concussion were just more likely to have them anyway though to my knowledge... it's kind of like how people who get struck by lightning once are like 8 times more likely to get hit again. Just happens. Does one hit "disease" you or were just more likely to get hit in the first place before you got hit?

But if you look at that year he had years ago when he had the concussion, he admitted later he was having issues focusing on what his spotter, crew chief, and car were doing and communicating that information. Since that crash, his performance has been off... especially in the chase. I wonder if, maybe even without him realizing it, he just isn't focused like he was before the crash.

Kudos points to Junior for admitting something is wrong.....

Also, his fathers injury was internal decapatation I believe. That incident is hard to spot even on an MRI or x-ray. It was caused my multiple blows, usually severe accidents with excessive g-forces to weaken the cartledge in your neck and head connected.... I think....

Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It just occured to me: Dang it Duane! I didn't get you that 88 car! Now look what happened!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
It just occured to me: Dang it Duane! I didn't get you that 88 car! Now look what happened!

jinx, and now Dale Jr is out 2 weeks, real nice.............

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

If Hamlin wins this championship, I bet I'll get an 88 car next year

Although.... the tire test was on the 28th and 29th of August, 6 days after I met Brent at Bristol. Junior didn't do too hot at Atlanta or Richmond following the test... hasn't done well since the Chase started.... this concussion is what killed his season anyway.

Juniors tire went down and caused him to crash. On my way home from Bristol... I got a flat RR tire....

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM

I do think it's sad what happened to Dale Jr & if it prevents him from racing again...I don't think he will have to worry about $'s, but I was hoping he would get a championship b-4 he retired or was forced to retire...Time will reveal what happens...I wish him the best & I hope he listens to his doctor's.

Duane, be careful not to cross over in2 the Twilight Zone, I did & I can't get back

It can be very scary 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 10-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Well this is certainly a turn of events ..No one expected for sure!
And to make matters worse....and Jr ends up haveing to retire early...
There isnt anyone one else in the Earnhardt family with any talent..To carry on the family name in Racing. Looks like the Earnhardt Legacy..will end with him! So us diehard Earnhardt fans...will just fall by the wayside..

It was tough enuff to start to enjoy racing again after Dale SR passed..
(for me)

I wish him the best and hope this doesnt put an end to the Earnhardt LEGACY in racing!

As said before...
At the very least...We'll see what Regan Smith is made of..in High end equiptment! Good Luck Regan...

Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Well this is certainly a turn of events ..No one expected for sure!
And to make matters worse....and Jr ends up haveing to retire early...
There isnt anyone one else in the Earnhardt family with any talent..To carry on the family name in Racing. Looks like the Earnhardt Legacy..will end with him! So us diehard Earnhardt fans...will just fall by the wayside..

It was tough enuff to start to enjoy racing again after Dale SR passed..
(for me)

I wish him the best and hope this doesnt put an end to the Earnhardt LEGACY in racing!

As said before...
At the very least...We'll see what Regan Smith is made of..in High end equiptment! Good Luck Regan...
There isn't anyone in the Earnhardt Family to carry on the legacy that has talent? You must not follow the Earnhardt Family very well, Jeffrey Earnhardt, Kerry's son is extremely talented in a race car he just hasn't had any luck getting into a car to show exactly how competitive he is, when he raced in the K&N Series for DEI he was outrunning Austin Dillon Week in and Week out.
I suggest doing some research on Jeffrey Earnhardt & read how talented he is !!!!!!

Last edited by Space; 10-12-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Minor edit to post to comply with rules & still get the point across

Quick Reply: *** Dale Jr. has concussion, out 2 races ***