Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Your Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Your Battery ?

Hi Member's,
What battery do you think is the best ? How long has your battery lasted ? What battery do your recommend ?
Please share/post ~> Thank You

===========================================
Battery Replacement
by Pat Goss

http://youtu.be/FlVih8tm6gg
Click above for Video

One of the most important parts of the car is the battery. Replacing a car battery is not as straightforward as it once was. If we take the battery out of the car, we can’t start it, we can’t drive it, we can’t even listen to the radio. So it is vital. And you know batteries last quite a long time for some folks, not so long for others. But sooner or later, every battery is going to go bad. Now, how do you go about wisely shopping for a replacement battery?
Well, for years I’ve been telling you that the one criteria – cold, cranking amps. Well, that’s still very important, because cold, cranking amps tells you the ability of the battery to do work right now. And the higher the cold cranking amp rating of the battery, the better it is for your car. But, don’t get that confused with cranking amps – CA. See, cold, cranking amps – CCA, cranking amps – CA. The cranking amps are rated at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold, cranking amps are rated at 0, and the higher the temperature when they’re doing the rating, the higher the numbers. So, that CA rating may look impressive, but it really isn’t. Rely on cold cranking amps.
Now, back in the day when you had an average car, it would have a monster old big starter like this thing here. Well, these have gone away. And this is a modern starter. Now, the difference is this starter is a lot more efficient. Plus, engines in cars today have less resistance from being turned by the starter motor; they have less friction. So, this means we can modify this cold, cranking amp rating just a teeny little bit because we want to add something else into the equation. And that something else is RC – reserve capacity.
Now, reserve capacity is how long this battery can supply power without being replenished by the alternator before the battery goes dead. Now, that means on modern cars where you have a lot of computers. And believe me, they do – they have computers for just about everything, transmission computer, engine computer, air conditioning computer, lighting computers. And all of these things, and they all have memories and those memories draw power from the battery. So if you have a car that is lightly used, it sits for a long period of time; well, you want the longest reserve capacity you can get. Like, this one is 115, the battery in the car is 125; that would be a better battery for a car that doesn’t get used on a regular basis. So, here’s what you do – when it comes time to buy a battery, you’re looking to find a happy medium between the biggest cold, cranking amp rating that you can get and the biggest reserve capacity rating that you can get. And, if you shop wisely, you’ll have a battery that’ll last longer. All of these electronics will last longer and you’ll have more reliability.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 AM

Top Car battery Reviews | Best Car battery – Consumer Reports
^^^^Click to view Infor on Batteries ^^^^
Car battery buying guide

Getting startedGetting started | TypesTypes | How we testHow we test | BrandsBrands | WarrantiesWarranties

Find Ratings

Car batteries

Getting started

Throughout the life of your vehicle, you will probably have to replace your car's battery a number of times. Either it gets old and has to be replaced, or it is drained unintentionally when lights or another electrical accessory are left on. A dead battery can be a hassle, especially if you cannot find jumper cables or have to wait for roadside assistance. Being proactive in replacing your battery can ensure that your car is ready to go when you are. Through this battery buying guide, we will advise on considerations for battery ownership and replacement.

Battery maintenance

With a maintenance-free or sealed battery, you don't have to check or refill the electrolyte levels. While most have a flat top, some batteries with caps also are claimed to be maintenance free.

While manufacturers claim that absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries are safer, they cost more than conventional batteries that perform almost as well or better in our car batteries comparison. It might make sense to consider a top-scoring AGM battery only if your car's design makes the battery difficult to reach.

Make sure the battery fits your car and driving needs

When the time comes to buy a replacement battery, make sure you get the right size and design (or type) for your vehicle. Check your owner's manual or an in-store fit guide before shopping.

Choose a battery that fits your climate and driving conditions. A model that did well in our battery-life testing, for example, is critical if you live in a warmer climate. Frequent high temperatures are very tough on batteries, increase corrosion of plates, and more quickly vaporize the electrolyte that is needed for current. Long life is also important if you make many short trips that don't allow much time for recharging.

Along with good life-testing performance, choose a battery that scored well in our cold-cranking amps and reserve-capacity testing. Most products in our car batteries comparison have proved to be at least adequate in both of those tests, but there is performance variation.

How to choose the battery

All batteries lose strength over time, even when idle. So choose one no more than six months old. Most have a shipping code on the case. Some use a letter for the month ("A" for January) and a number for the year ("8" for 2008); others use a numeric date.

All things being equal, favor a model with a helpful plastic loop. Such a handle makes it easier to lift and carry batteries, which weigh about 40 pounds, and just as important, aids in lowering the battery onto the tray in tightly packed engine compartments.

Battery recycling

A battery's toxic lead and acid can easily be recycled, and most retailers will dispose of the old one for you. You might pay a charge that's refunded if you bring in the old battery after installing the new one.

Last edited by Space; 02-22-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My car has an interstate battery I think. It was in the car when I bought it. When it goes out I'll probably just replace it with one from autozone. I have never had a problem with their Batteries.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duralast and Interstate are both great batteries.

My stock battery lasted 8.5 years, now I have a duralast in.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks Lou & Mod Mike for your posts.

Below are a few vid's to watch on batteries.

Auto Talk 101: Signs Car Battery Needs Replacement
Auto Talk 101: Signs Car Battery Needs Replacement - YouTube

================================================== ====
Car battery going flat how to check for a drain
Car battery going flat how to check for a drain - YouTube

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I've got AC Delcos in both cars. I have a battery charger/conditioner on the 03 while it's in storage and it prolongs the life of the battery.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

3 Car Batteries 1 Optima Yellow Top D 34/78 - 2 SHURIKEN SK-BT20 in the trunk. I think that a battery charger is critical for 1 to have and this is IMO is the best by far !!! I love the Pulse recover of slightly sulfated batteries.
Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Last edited by Blazed SS; 02-22-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Hi Keith, I was thinking of you when I was creating this post & searching for information on batteries...I keep miss seeing you online...We are in different time zones for sure...
I knew that you needed some BIG POWER to run your Super System 4-Sure....Great to see you post & I hope life is going good 4 U & yours....Peace/Out `Space

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man Space I will be down in Miami on the 16th of June for a couple of days how far are you form there ??

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Acdelco in the Monte & my trusty Optima in the GTO

Quick Reply: Your Battery ?