Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

WRECHED SOUND WHEN STARTING THE CAR! and an FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:10 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking WRECHED SOUND WHEN STARTING THE CAR! and an FYI

I would love some input on this!

When I start my 02 MC LS w 84k, about 1/3 of the I hear the terrible sound that you hear when someone has attempted to restart a car that has already been started. Only problem.....my car isn't previously running! I've brought it to the attention of many a mechanic, even the local Chevrolet dealership and I get the DUH!? THEY'VE EVEN HEARD IT! The usual reply is "Don't give it gas when you start it, it will ruin it." "That should solve your problem." I am not sure what direction to go since it does start fine, the sound comes after it starts. Maintenance schedule says tune-up at 100k so not ready for plugs or wires. (I don't agree) What say you.......?

Here's the problem, I am a woman and they think I'm stupid when it comes to cars! Maybe they should recall the fact that...... I am the 2nd owner of this Monte, With the original owners my baby had the Intermediate Steering Shaft replaced under warranty @ 35K. @ 65K it went out again with me! I call the 1-800 number for Chevrolet armed with facts and went at it! The ISS in the either the Malibu's or the Impala's and the Monte's are a manufacturing nightmare and GM has never remanufactured them to fix the issue. They are putting the originally manufactured ISS that keeps causing all of these issues back into the vehicles AND making the consumer's pay for it over and over again. Check the TSB's (no recalls but they know about it's defects) NOT ME! I went at it with Chevy! I told them to back up their name. I am not paying for, nor will I ever pay to put a part in my car that they know is defective. Not to mention have to do it over and over again because it will continue to need repaired over the lifetime of the vehicle. If you don't repair this, I will start with my local media and my lawyer, (gave him my lawyer's name) and legally/systematically work my way up to the supreme court informing everyone along the way what GM is doing. He said he'd get back to me. Three days later I received a call informing me that the ISS would be replaced free of charge.
So, for all of you mechanics out there, please don't underestimate a woman. Just because she asks a question doesn't immediatly indicate ignorance. Questions = knowledge.
Thanks for taking the time to read and please understanding that I am not a crazed lady but a well spoken woman that refuses to be walked on.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The ISS is not a safety issue so that is why there was no recall. This problem is very common on many GM cars with the 3800 engine - my dad's 2000 Pontiac Bonneville has the same problem. It is an annoyance but not a safety issue - you can fix it yourself by greasing it - there is a thread on this forum on how to do it.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/iss-repair-2257/
Oh an be lucky you don't own a newer Toyota - the Monte and it's GM cousins are very safe cars and don't excelerate on it's own!

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 03-13-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I have no idea what the sound is (maybe the starter is going bad?) But I do understand the issues with some mechanics and being female. Been there, done that.

As far as the ISS, Amy's right, not a safety issue so no recall. But this is how I "fixed" mine if you want to try it when yours gets clunk-thunky next time http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=10805

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 AM

The sound that you describe makes me think that maybe the cog on the starter is worn or missing a tooth. If its missing a tooth and the cog tries to retract from the flywheel it might get caught up and spun or grind. In order to know for sure if it is the starter though, it would have to be pulled.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Okay, so you have an odd noise in your car when it's started.

Then there is a gigantic rant about the ISS (which we all have had, but it's not a safety thing, just an annoyance as stated) I just grease mine every spring. No big deal.

Now back on topic, do you need help figuring out what this noise you are hearing is?? If so, let's work on some more information. When does it happen, how often, where does the noise sound like it's coming from? Can you mimic the noise in park and outside the car with the hood open to try and figure out where under the hood the noise is made?

Regarding the 100K, if you think it needs a tune-up, then get a tune-up. Honestly if I ever bought a car and was the 2nd owner, a tune-up is the first thing I would do, just to make sure I knew all the parts on the car and when all the fluids were checked / maintained and everything.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I would think that your starter is to blame for the sound you are hearing. I bet either your starter itself needs replaced, or the flywheel is now messed up.

As far as the maintenance thing goes, I personally DO NOT agree that 100,000 mile maintenance is enough. I Change my plugs every 50,000, but technically 100,000 is ok. I just would not stretch it past that.

As everyone else mentioned the ISS is perfectly safe, just needs grease, and is fixable.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
15 Year Member
Default That horrid sound when someone tries to restart a car that is already running

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Okay, so you have an odd noise in your car when it's started.

Then there is a gigantic rant about the ISS (which we all have had, but it's not a safety thing, just an annoyance as stated) I just grease mine every spring. No big deal.

Now back on topic, do you need help figuring out what this noise you are hearing is?? If so, let's work on some more information. When does it happen, how often, where does the noise sound like it's coming from? Can you mimic the noise in park and outside the car with the hood open to try and figure out where under the hood the noise is made?

Regarding the 100K, if you think it needs a tune-up, then get a tune-up. Honestly if I ever bought a car and was the 2nd owner, a tune-up is the first thing I would do, just to make sure I knew all the parts on the car and when all the fluids were checked / maintained and everything.
Ok, going to reply to this even though it has been over a year. Million and one reasons why I haven't been able to but you know.....life!

So, all this time later.....still the same starter and still the same issue. To answer your questions....
It happens randomly but in spurts and anywhere. (garage, rain, shine, snow) Maybe 4 or 5 times in 2 weeks and then nothing for 2 weeks. However, the cycle is consistant.
I am the only driver of the vehicle therefore the only one that starts the vehicle. The sound only occurs when I start it...not while driving. Unless I have a friend start the car repeatedly for who knows how long, I have no way of zeroing in on where it is actually coming from. (this is why I get the "duh" look from the dealerships!) All I have to go on is how often it occurs and what it sounds the most like. THAT HORRID SOUND WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO RESTART A CAR THAT IS ALREADY RUNNING. I posted on here to see if anyone else had experienced this and to seek advice.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by sparkyallen1
Ok, going to reply to this even though it has been over a year. Million and one reasons why I haven't been able to but you know.....life!

So, all this time later.....still the same starter and still the same issue. To answer your questions....
It happens randomly but in spurts and anywhere. (garage, rain, shine, snow) Maybe 4 or 5 times in 2 weeks and then nothing for 2 weeks. However, the cycle is consistant.
I am the only driver of the vehicle therefore the only one that starts the vehicle. The sound only occurs when I start it...not while driving. Unless I have a friend start the car repeatedly for who knows how long, I have no way of zeroing in on where it is actually coming from. (this is why I get the "duh" look from the dealerships!) All I have to go on is how often it occurs and what it sounds the most like. THAT HORRID SOUND WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO RESTART A CAR THAT IS ALREADY RUNNING. I posted on here to see if anyone else had experienced this and to seek advice.
I would think that your starter is to blame for the sound you are hearing,
maybe your starter is staying engaged when you first start car ? I would check starter ..

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

do you hold the key while starting it? try just clicking the key once and let it go to the on position, alot of people don't realize with alot of newer cars you don't have to hold the key you just need to give it a click and the car will crank until it starts or somthing like 15seconds

it does sound like either the silinoid is sticking and not pullin the gear off of the flywheel

Last edited by Budsjlm; 06-22-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

If the starter is not the original one, it's possible that when it was replaced the clearance between the ring gear and starter gear was not measured and it doesn't have enough clearance. A lot of times a shim between the block and starter will prevent the starter gear from hanging up on the ring gear. A weak (from heat) solenoid return spring can cause this as well. Also, have a look at the link AwesomeSS posted - it may just need a little bit of lube.

Quick Reply: WRECHED SOUND WHEN STARTING THE CAR! and an FYI