Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Wow, so here we go...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Default Wow, so here we go...

Just got my car back from the body shop today.. ran the car for 30 miles, no problem. Came home to change, went back out, drove great for the first 13 miles again...

To clarify, Body shop was for a new sideskirt, nothing was totalled, nothing was touched mechanically under the hood by the shop.

So, now to the problem.

At certain points, my throttle will say 1-7%, even with my foot COMPLETELY off the pedal. (have two aeroforce gauges)

At other points, I floor it, and Throttle body WILL NOT allow me to go over 30%, at all. Period.

I tried shifting to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, manually, still nothing about 30%.

While heading up the hill, I stopped at a stop sign, and car completely stalled on me.

I have had NO problems with this car thus far, so I am thinking it is time for a tranny...

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Checked all fluid levels, spark plug connections, and scanned for misfires. Still nothing. I am disconnecting the battery, and letting it sit for a while...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: Wow, so here we go...

UPDATE:

Took it for a test drive, Pulled up:

P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio

P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance

Suggestions?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You might have a bad TPS. I would start there. There is a way to test them using a multitester, but I dont remember exactly how. As for your other code about incorrect gear ratio, I dont know.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Well I solved the issue of the Sensor anyways, I pulled everything, and reconnected everything that was connected to my TB, including the TAC adaptor, cleaned everything off, and reconnected it a second time...

Just got back from driving, and EvERYTHING is normal.

Weird, right?

Drove 10 miles to Ligonier (local town) and back. Tried everything, trying to make it fail, stopping quick then flooring it, part throttle, even a few times in reverse.

NOTHING.

But the fact that I got the P0730 Scares me, and makes me worry that the cost of a new transmission is RIGHT around the corner....

Kinda weird for a lightly modded car with only 33000 on it, eh?

Anyone else chiming it would be greatly appreciated.

Tomorrow I'll place an afternoon call to ZZP, as well as a few of my mechanic friends, and the local Chevy Dealer to figure out WHAT Incorrect gear ratio means, as well as what would cause it, and whether or not it might have just been one of those once in a lifetime flukes when the stars aligned correctly, and the moon was just in the right orbit, to cause something like that to happen...

Wish me luck, and as I said before, please, any more input greatly appreciated. =)

-Keegan

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Only 33000 miles on it? Isnt that still under warranty then?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Sciggy

Only 33000 miles on it? Isnt that still under warranty then?
...or 3 years after the original date of sale, which ever comes first.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM

I'd put bets something just came loose along the way. It could have been something flaky in the PCM as well. Did you turn off the car and turn it back on to see if the codes disappeared at any point?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Yessir, I pulled the battery, and after an hour sit, everything went fine.

Update as well:

Called Tim today at ZZP. He said he has had people with that problem, happens once, then never again...

He said his stalled 3 times in the course of an hour... after which the problem disappeared and NEVER returned.

He claims it could have been anything, water in an electronic connector, or ANYTHING.

I drove a total of 106 miles today, WITHOUT incident.

HOWEVER, I am still looking into a race-ready tranny from ZZP, as well as a few other companies. So far, best price I got:

Roughly 3 grand for everything hardened, including input shaft, as well as new 2500 stall TC. Oh, and that INCLUDES install.

The local dealer wanted $477 just to pull the tranny and diagnose it. Spare me. No thanks. I'll save my money for a tranny that will be able to HANDLE the abuse. =)

Will keep you all updated. =)