Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Is it worth My money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Default Is it worth My money?

Hi, im a young kid at the age of sixteen who is lucky enough to work at a dealership as a tech with a mentor and part time dealer i do both.. now to my question i recently bought with my saved money a 97' Monte Carlo LS V6 3.1 with 116,000 miles on it and the body is great i bought it for 1,400... now the things that went wrong the ALT. went that was $106... new brakes, coolent, brake fluid, general tune up say another $100 and a new master switch for the power windows was 40 dollars and the car still needs inspected, and now my gas tank has a leak so i ordered a new one at 100$ ... is this all worth it in the end i mean is this car going to be a good car for a sixteen year old with lead foot ..at times but dependable??? i mean everytime i think i get ahead i fall behind ... so my question is it worth my time and my money??
Thanks for Reading hope You reply

Zak

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Is it worth My money?

Welcome to MCF Zak!!!

The 3.1 is a pretty decent motor overall. I would recommend getting used parts though at a junkyard and it should be dependable.

Alternator 10-20 bucks
GasTank ??? prob around 25-50 bucks
Switch 5-10 bucks.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Well thanks for the reply i probably should of gone to a junkyard to get parts, i usually get my parts through www.rockauto.com they are the cheapest i found on new parts, but i hope you are right with dependiblity thank you for your Reply =)

[IMG]local://upfiles/3776/1B8500D0E8984CC39309E48A60593AED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM

[align=center]Hi `Zak, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][:-]Clean Look'in Monte Carlo LS ~ 4-Sure ~ Good Luck [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think a Monte Carlo, or any vehicle that is over 10 years[/align][align=center]old will need repairs, and replacement parts.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think the Monte is a great car to invest in.[/align][align=center]What advise does your mentor give you about your Monte ?[/align][align=center]I've learned that `if you don't abuse your ride,[/align][align=center]it won't abuse you.[/align][align=center]You are lucky to be so young, and be working with[/align][align=center]a Master Tech. I'm sure that you will get help in your repairs.[/align][align=center]I also had to work for my own car, & I gave `up to get it.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Your 97 is low miles for that year.[/align][align=center]Like `life, you will only get out from `if, what you put[/align][align=center]into it. Put good parts on your Monte, and I think[/align][align=center]you will get many more good miles from her.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, `Space[/align]

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Space, thanks for the reply i know that i am very lucky to be working with a master tech and to be so young and i am hoping that you are right and it will last i guess the good thing to know is at least i know what i have and the car is pretty clean thank you for the reply i really dont abuse my ride esp since i bought it with my own money unlike some 16 yr olds who parents bnuy them a brand new car i am very happy i came upon this car tho and hopefully like u said the future will be good for the car thank you for ur reply =)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Hi `Zak, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][:-]Clean Look'in Monte Carlo LS ~ 4-Sure ~ Good Luck [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think a Monte Carlo, or any vehicle that is over 10 years[/align][align=center]old will need repairs, and replacement parts.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think the Monte is a great car to invest in.[/align][align=center]What advise does your mentor give you about your Monte ?[/align][align=center]I've learned that `if you don't abuse your ride,[/align][align=center]it won't abuse you.[/align][align=center]You are lucky to be so young, and be working with[/align][align=center]a Master Tech. I'm sure that you will get help in your repairs.[/align][align=center]I also had to work for my own car, & I gave `up to get it.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Your 97 is low miles for that year.[/align][align=center]Like `life, you will only get out from `if, what you put[/align][align=center]into it. Put good parts on your Monte, and I think[/align][align=center]you will get many more good miles from her.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, `Space[/align]
I can agree to that. I'm always fixing things on the Caravan. It's just at that age where things just need to be replaced. I'm still fighting a small gas leak in the lines. But, you have to look at it this way. You never know how the car was treated, unless to personally know the seller. and two, it's better than having a car payment. If you find your repairs costing more than $150 a month, then it's time to find somthing else. Just treat the car right, and 99% of the time, the car will treat you right.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 PM

it seems worth it, just let me tell you from experience with the 3100, check your oil and your antifreeze frequently. my 96 went through 3 intake gaskets those motors are known for them so watch that, they did however come out with a metal replacement for the plactic factory one. when it cracks it will either leak collant, or allow the collant to get into the oil. my next problem was the a head cracked, this allowed my oil to go into my coolant and caused my car to run very hot, i hear they are know for cracking heads too but my bro's grand prix never had problems with that just the intake gasket too

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM

black04monteSS thank you for your reply and as a tech i have been told about those but thank you very much for reminding me because those due seem to have an issue... with the metal replacement did it happen to last longer , and do u think the metal one is a better suit for it? Also would you LOW OIL light come on at all??? just wondering so i no what to look for in advance i no if the exhaust smells sweet im burning antifreeze THank YOu for your post very much =)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

actually my low oil light is how it all started, it came on so i added oil, and it shut off no big deal. well the next day it came on and i added oil again and it shut off till the next time i started it up and thats when i took it to have it checked and discovered that the head had cracked and the oil was pumpin into the coolant,that gets expensive and i was without the car for most of the summer. i got the car back with the head fixed and the light came back on and it turns out that the sensor in it went bad...to this day i dont know if it was related to the problem but if it wasnt for the light i would have never known

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM

o and yes the metal gasket is way better but it is designed for the 2nd design of the 3100 which was started half way through 96... mine is a 96 but the first design, the difference is the push rod guides.. you can make it work though

Quick Reply: Is it worth My money?