Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Windshield wiper activates when ignition key is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 AM
3 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Windshield wiper activates when ignition key is turned on

Hey folks, I just bought an '06 LT and noticed when I turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position, the windshield wipers do one swipe then stop. I've checked the wiper switch and it's in the off position. It does this every time like there's a setting that needs to be changed. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Thumbs up Member's please HELP

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your problem. I searched my files & Google's and couldn't find any same or similar problem. I hope one of our member's may know, so keep checking back.

It appears to be in the wiper switch & when you turn your power on your wiper switch reacts to the power by activating your wipers to produce one swipe. I couldn't find an adjustment for that problem.... Again, I hope a member knows & can assist.

How many miles on your 06 Monte ? How long have you had it ? Has it been like that since you purchased it ? Do you or have you had any other electrical problems ?

Good Luck

Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 AM
3 Year Member

It's got 96K miles on it and I just purchased it last weekend. So far, that is the only 'bug' that I have noticed. This car is replacing my other '06 LS that has 205K on it. Out with the old and worn out and in with the just as old but not quite as worn out. LOL Thanks for your response.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 AM

mine had the similar problem it ended up being the switch and the wire leading to the motor grounding out. when I fixed one another popped up so I fixed both it was at a weird place where the wire was chaffing at the bend from inside the car to the motor. when I fixed it I used some hose to protect the wires after the fix. I fixed the wire first then the switch because the control on the turn signal combo thing I notice it was feeling loose. I replaced it and I have no problem with the motor. after the fix I hope this helped

Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 AM
3 Year Member

Update: I was going to take the car to work this morning, got in and started it. The windshield wipers didn't do their usual 'one pass and stop' so I needed to clear the dew from the windshield, turned the **** to mist...nothing...turned the wipers on...nothing...no time to check fuses and such this morning so I will begin the search this evening. If anyone has any recommendations, feel free to let me know.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM
3 Year Member

Fuse was okay. It appears to be the switch itself as when I had a friend watch to make sure the turn signals and hi/lo beams worked the hi beam wouldn't come on until I wiggled the windshield washer ****. A new switch has been ordered from Rock Auto. I will update after it's installed.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM
3 Year Member

Okay, still no wipers after replacing the multifunction switch and the wiper motor itself. Now I'm told there is a wiper motor relay but damned if I can find it in all the usual places. Can anyone tell me where the wiper motor relay might be?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM
3 Year Member

Post Mortem: The relays for the wiper motor (delay, low and high) are on the PCB (printed circuit board) on the fuse box. You cannot simply replace this board, you have to replace the entire fuse box. Retail a new fuse box runs around $365 I found a place online that had it for $243 (still too high) but ended up getting one out of a salvage yard (guaranteed) for $88. I installed it last night and the wipers are working again.