Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

windows steam up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Default windows steam up

I have a weird problem I can't figure out on my 06 Monte and was wondering if anyone has come across this,when the outside temperature hits 34 degrees the warning ice possible please drive safely comes on in the message center on the dash then the blower motor blows steam on my windows, it clears up fairly quick and only happens at 34 degrees and below. there is no coolant loss and no over heating this is the second winter dealing with this and I'm at a loss whats happening

Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 AM

Sounds to me that when the warm air hits the cold windshield it causes condensation
to form on the inside of windshield. I don't think it's something to worry about, try putting fan on when engine is still cold.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:06 AM

thanks for the reply! this will happen even when the car is warmed up and I been driving awhile with the fan running.its a very heavy steam like the heater core is leaking but I have no coolant loss.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 AM

Still might have a bad heater core, does it leave a oily residue on the windshield ? Another possibility is the cabin filter area might have moister in the compartment.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah if it's condensating on the inside of the cold windshield there has to be some significant amount of moisture in that air being blown onto it. Although what you're describing is normal to a certain degree - typically after a few minutes it should stop. Can you 'see' the air actually blowing? If you can, there's a LOT of moisture in that air which is not normal.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM

thanks for the reply's! there is no oily residue on the windshield and I cannot see the air blowing out but when it does it the windows get so fogged up I can barely see out the windows, I been dealing with this so long that now when it happens I roll the windows down to minimize the fog on the windows.antifreeze level is always good....