Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): White smoke from exhaust smells like oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Default White smoke from exhaust smells like oil

Hello I picked up a really clean 04 monte ss the problem I’m having is the guy said the car runs like crap and well it did I found out there was a problem with the number 1 injector being stuck open it ended up being a short in the wire harness so I fixed it the car runs great now but there is allot of white smoke coming from the exhaust the oil definitely had fuel mixed in it I’m assuming it’s from the injector being open so I changed the oil it’s smoking but not as bad as it was at first it smelt like pure fuel out the exhaust now it smells like oil the but the smoke is white the temperature is normal the antifreeze is good not low or sludgy the car definitely doesn’t feel like it’s lost power from bad rings of anything to be honest it feels like it has more power then a stock supercharged monte the smoke seems to clear while driving until I’m at idle or if I give it a rev any suggestions maybe bad valve seals I’m not sure i also checked the pcv valve

Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 AM

Sounds like you got a handle on this, I would also guess valve stem seals. Does it seem to smoke more on start up which might indicate the seals are leaking ?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 AM

Funny enough yesterday I started the car it did not smoke at all until I gave it a rev I’m a little confused

Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM

As your already aware that it could be the rings leaking oil, not sure if that would cause a running issue until you had enough oil fouling out plug. Have you inspected the spark plug to see if there's oil getting on it ? A compression test might indicate bad rings or you could pull plug and pressurize cylinder with air a see if it has pressure in the valve cover that would indicate bad rings. Not much you could do to solve a ring problem except rebuild. Good luck

Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Thank you for the advice

Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM

I own the car now and the smoke cleared up after taking it for a good drive. The car is throwing a ton of codes though and I believe it has some other electrical issues. I made another thread about it.