Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): What other power seat track from another GM vehicle will work in a 98 Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:10 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default What other power seat track from another GM vehicle will work in a 98 Monte?

I am coming up EMPTY with the power seat track for my 98 Monte Carlo. None of the boneyards around here has one,nothing online,and I'm getting desperate.
So,I got to thinking,since GM shares numerous parts with vehicles in their divisions,what other power seat track is a suitable replacement?
Hope this works and someone tried this...

Old 04-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I am not certain but I may still have the front drivers side powered seat that was in my 99 Monte Carlo.
Mine worked fine but I replaced the seats with Leather ones and it worked as well.
So what is it that is or isn't working?
Usually the seat tracks are fine.
*maybe the motor is bad or came unhooked from the power source.
* but maybe the wiring or the switches are in bad shape.
*or the wire beneath the seat that hooks up the seat had come un plugged *or there is a foreign object under the seat that has caused the thing not to work.
When I got the new seats out of another Monte I struggled to get the wrench on the seat studs and someone suggested using a 9 volt battery to power the seat and move it, it worked!
But I would believe that the these would have bucket seats *Chevy Lumina LTZ, Grand Am, or Grand Prix should work. Impala should work too in similar years.
I got my replacements at a U pull It yard, you can go out and pick your own stuff out.
hope that would help I will check to see if I still have the seat. But I may have tossed it too.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The seat tracks broke. As I am a big guy,they are made of aluminum,which broke after two weeks after I replaced it the first time. And something else broke (it looks like a gear) and now I have to prop up the seat from behind to keep it in place. I just need the seat tracks so that I can replace it,and sell the car. The newer cars come with more durable seat tracks,so I have to get something else.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
But I would believe that the these would have bucket seats *Chevy Lumina LTZ, Grand Am, or Grand Prix should work. Impala should work too in similar years.
I got my replacements at a U pull It yard, you can go out and pick your own stuff out.
Sad to say,the only U pull it yard I know of closed,and all other places here,they pull it for you.
Thanks for the list of cars,I will try that and see if I get a hit.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:33 AM

The Impala won't work, it was a completely different car in the '90's. Other than that, good luck. The u-pull here used to have a 98; I'll check and let you know if they still have it and the price.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 96z34man
The Impala won't work, it was a completely different car in the '90's. Other than that, good luck. The u-pull here used to have a 98; I'll check and let you know if they still have it and the price.
I know,I still have my '95.
Thanks in advance for checking for the part.