Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

What the????

Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Default What the????

I own a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 3.4L
The problem:
The car likes to loose power. By this I mean when idling at a light the tach jumps up and down just a bit but you can hear it in the engine (RPM's godrop and go upagain). Also when I put a signal on, my Speedometer needle and tach needle flick with the signal. I have no Check engine light lit on. The other night I was in the car and my gauge lights went off (night time) and came back on a few minutes later.

I have had a new battery and alternator installed a few weeks ago. It was doing this prior to the alternator being put in. The battery is a AC Delco and the alternator was new and tested before being put in.
HELP ME!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: What the????

The engine and RMP's going up and down was a common occurance on my '99 grand am gt, which also had the 3.4 litre engine. The service department at my local dealer claimed it was nothing to worry about.
Sometimes it would clear itself up if I shut off the car for a minute or two, then re-started it.

I noticed this happened more often when Ifilled up withlow grade gas. I started using Sunoco Ultra 94 octane gas, and I didn't have the problem anymore.

As for the electrical problem, sorry I can't be much help with that one. My first guess would be to check your belt(s) to see if they are loose or slipping at all. If the belt on the alternator is slipping, it will cause you to lose electrical power.

Was there any mods done to the car that tap into a power source in the dash? Like a stereo system, or some other electronics not included from the factory? A loose wire somewhere could be causing this too.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM

The belt was new a couple of months ago. I have checked it as I thought it might be it but it was fine. There have been no mods to the car. All the wiring is original. And as far as gas goes, I do use Ultra 94 but for the most part I use Petro canada 91.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 AM

Have you tried some fuel injection cleaner.
And as Whiz would say
Try some seaform..... He believes in that.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

And as Whiz would say
Try some seaform..... He believes in that.
AWESOME!!! LOL!!

I would also try to mix a few gallons of E-85 into the mix as that will clean out a good chunk of the drivetrain as well.

Search this Thread