Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

weird electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default weird electrical problem.

Today I went out to the car to clean a stain on the carpet. I used the key fob to unlock the door. I opened the door and squatted down next to the open door to spray the stain and I could hear something that sounded like white noise like when you have a TV on a channel that doesn't have a station. It wasn't very loud but definetely there. I bent closer to the door and the noise was coming out of my door speaker. The car was not on, the radio was not on, and there were no keys in the ignition. After about a minute the noise went away.

Is this another sign that my BCM is going on the fritz? This was the first time I had noticed this noise. The other symptoms of something wrong is that when I open the doors, the little orange lights in the heat/AC buttons flash for a second and then go out.

Then while driving the gauges and warning lights go nuts for a few seconds and then go back to normal except for the battery indicator in the message center staying on. You can get this to go out by operating one of the power windows.

I'm wondering if I should just buy a BCM and have the dealer program and install it.

What do you guys think?

Wayne

Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM

I'm experiencing something similar. It happens at random and sometimes scares the hell out of me. I get a LOUD popping sound followed by crackling. It seems to do it when the engine warms up which is weird. I thought maybe static or a short in my sub. I've had a sub in my car since I bought it in 03. Unplugged/took out fuses to the sub and it still happend.

The weird thing, it still crackles and pops when the engine is off and the dome lights go out.....No clue. It's only in my front driver's side speaker which is not hooked up to any amp anyway.

Uh yeah, I just found this on the forums:

Problem: I’m experiencing seemingly unrelated electrical problems in the vehicle. This can manifest and power locks that don’t work, parasitic draws that kill your battery while you are away from the car, a radio and instrument cluster that won’t turn off. Problem may be exacerbated by high temperatures
Cause: Bad BCM
Solution: Replace BCM (need to find a shop that has a Tech 2 to program the new BCM to match the vehicle). Do not purchase a used BCM, these are programmable once and cannot be used in another vehicle easily.

I just paid out the ish to have BCM replaced by the dealership about 2 years ago. If that's the problem, I'm going Ape S.....!!

Would changing the speaker out do anything if it's not the BCM? The dealership's gonna want $80 just to tell me what the problem is I'm sure.

Last edited by mrittenhouse; 10-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm thinking of just having the BCM replaced so I can rule that out. I can get a new AC-Delco BCM at rockauto.com for $154 + shipping vs the $256 the dealer wants. Granted you have to pay to have it programmed but it is still cheaper at rockauto.

Electrical issues can be a b***H to figure out. All of the grounds that I can see look clean and feel tight but I'm going to look and see if there are some more.

Wayne

Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Went ahead and replaced my front speakers today (still had factory speakers since 2003 when I bought the car) so "win win" either way. I'm still getting the crazy static popping sound off and on in the front DS speaker....... Even with the ingition off. Thinking of taking it into my mechanic next week for a once over and see what he says.

BTW, they're $127 on gmpartsdirect.com

Last edited by mrittenhouse; 10-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:03 AM

I saw the BCM on gmpartsdirect. Not a bad price even with the $32 for shipping, handling, and processing. It looks like they have to order it and I think rockauto has it in stock. I'm still undecided what to do. I don't like replacing things without knowing for sure if it is the problem but I don't know what else could be causing all of these weird electrical problems.

Wayne

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Then while driving the gauges and warning lights go nuts for a few seconds and then go back to normal except for the battery indicator in the message center staying on. You can get this to go out by operating one of the power windows.
My 2004 Intimidator does the same thing. The first time it did it I was on the interstate and it scared the hell out of me. The dealership had no idea what caused it. Battery light finally went off (I didn't think to roll down the window). If you find out the cause, let me know.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Have you tried checking/cleaning the ground connections for the PCM/BCM? When you unlock the car the PCM powers the radio for 1 minute so it can activate the chime which is heard through the front left (driver side) speaker. The crackling noise and the warning lights flickering could be the result of a bad ground. The battery light going out when you operate the window could be the result of offering a ground with less resistance to the circuit. I'd check/clean all the ground connections and see if the problem goes away.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I have looked at all of the grounds I can see but I"m not sure where all of them on the car are located especially for the BCM/ECM. I did unhook and remove my BCM to see what numbers were on it in case I decide to buy a new one. I have not had any instrument panel issues since then but I still get the flashing of the heating/AC buttons when I open the door.

I have not noticed if the speaker noise is still there. I need to check that.

Can you tell me where the BCM/ECM ground is located.? Thanks.

Wayne

Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM

my orange ac/heat buttons flash too when i unlock the car, or open the door if it's been sitting awhile. i think this is just normal operation. i don't experience any other electrical issues. also i hear a little static in my speakers as well, again i think that is normal because the door chime is through the speakers.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Hi Folks! Noob 2 this forum. So I have an electrical static problem in the drivers door speaker. Since all of the bells and chimes go through this speaker, whenever the security/saftey system is activated. Like opening the door. I get an electrical/static noise. It remains constant when the ignition is on. It goes off with the security/saftey sytem. I see a few other folks have had the same or similar problem. I am not shocked that an actual answer to the prob has not been found. If you have one please let me know! I checked the speaker, it was fine. So I took the 2000 Monte Carlo SS into the dealership. They spent 4 hours of diagnostics with a tech. who tells me it's the ampliphier in the trunk(factory). Looking into buying a cheap used one on ebay. If anyone has any other info on this prob. I would welcome the help and want 2 share the info.

Quick Reply: weird electrical problem.