Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Default Water Leak

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a 2003 Monte and I have a water leak on the front passenger side. I'm thinking its the ac drain. How do I check? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: Water Leak

is it only when the AC runs?
and is it clear?
also check all your fluid levels
and put your finger in to it and smell

not real sure where the drain is on them but i know it is in the front of the car.

the thing im having issues with on my car is a smell of mildew when the ac get turned on.

Driving me nuts!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM

I just took my car to the dealer for the same issue. Masive amount of water under passenger carpet, after rain or goin through the car wash.The Rep said it's probably a seal under the passerger side of the window. He quoted me $50. We'll see what happens.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: bill49417

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a 2003 Monte and I have a water leak on the front passenger side. I'm thinking its the ac drain. How do I check? Thanks in advance!
this sounds like its just the condensation coming off of the condenser...it can come off in large amounts...if its just water ..in the summer i drive around with the air cranked so high you can see your breath in my car..and this happens as soon as i stop somewhere there's a puddle of water underneath my car...and it can get pretty big....but thats what it sounds like to me

Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 PM

I had this problem on my grand prix. It was leaves in the ac drain that caused it. Not sure how easy of a fix this is, but the dealer did that and it solved the problem for me.

Steve

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM

i had the problem with the seal/weatherstrip under the cowl, rather than $50 u can fix it yourself for free.

its reasonably quick and easy, imo. run the wipers and turn off the car with the wipers up, open the hood, remove the 2 or 3 plastic retainers on the passenger side of the cowl, unclip the washer hose from the cowl, and lift the passenger side piece out of the way, find your seal laying out of place, curse gm, then pinch the part of the seal that holds onto the body of the car a portion of the way together with pliers, reattach the seal above the hvac inlet and reassemble

Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM

Wiz, Is it just when you have the A/C on or when you have the vent on (but no A/C)? The cabin air filter could be mildewy. That or check where the heat exchanger is for the a/c in theduct that cools the air then blows it into the cabin.... I can't think of what the name of that piece is, but it should only be open when the a/c is on, otherwise the car uses the one with the heater core even if the heat isn't on... I think anyways.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 AM

oh, and almost forgot. Bill: I had a coolant leak in the front end in my first Monte, an 03 LS. It was center/DSide but it was due to a cracked radiator. So if it's coolant you're loosing have a shop put some dye into the coolant so they can see where it's coming from. It won't leave stains on concrete or anything unless you commonly have a blacklight on the cement cause it's invisible without a blacklight/uv light.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Wiz, Is it just when you have the A/C on or when you have the vent on (but no A/C)? The cabin air filter could be mildewy. That or check where the heat exchanger is for the a/c in theduct that cools the air then blows it into the cabin.... I can't think of what the name of that piece is, but it should only be open when the a/c is on, otherwise the car uses the one with the heater core even if the heat isn't on... I think anyways.
this was on my truck which had no cabin air filter....i haven't noticed anything on the monte yet..but i haven't really had the a/c cranked on it yet...

Old 04-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Just picked up my car from the dealer. They replaced the above mentioned seal under the wiper cowl and also replaced the cabin air filter which is also located under the cowl. Parts: $40 Labor:$130. Anyone with a 00 up monte should check under their passenger carpet. Mine was dry on top but dripping wet when i pulled it away fropm the floor. There is 2 inches of urethane foam glued to the back which is basically a big sponge. Yet another GMdesign flaw. I love my Monte, hate GM.

Quick Reply: Water Leak