Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vibration under acceleration???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Vibration under acceleration???

I was driving down to school, about a 5 hour drive, and I noticed a significant ammount of vibration from it felt like to floor. I need to have the steering knuckle replaced, could that be it??? I think the tires are all balanced, the steering wheel dosent shake much, but I will probabally get that checked.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 PM

I only seem to feel it under acceleration, it just feels like the engine is shaking. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate, niether does the brake or gas pedal. I only seem to feel it, when I notice the engine is under powered or like holding back. I believe it's the back pressure from the exhaust, and thats why I'm doing the U-Bend. If i still feel it after that, I'm going to bring it to the dealership to get checked out.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 AM

check the tires for balance if your feeling it in the seat of your pants. if you feel it in the wheel it is most of the time in the front wheels. the steering knuckel should not be making it viberate like this. most of the time it just makes noise and really dont effect much just a nusseance.

the down pipe he is talking about will defently open up the out flow of gasses more. and even better after that do teh cat. back system on it to make it flow more.

the thing i have noticed with thease motors is the better they get rid of air the better they run due to the factory system beign so restrickted. So with this said short of spending 1000.00 for a set of headders to have those installed and shipped etc. etc. those two items alone would be the best thing you can do. Also a new hig flow cat will help it sound better and flow better to.

but i dont see where any of this will cause a vibration in the car. i would also check to see if the motor mounts are tight or might be getting wore or lose .

I have also heard of them goign bad if they are the factory ones. but it has been pretty rare.

personally i have been looking in to getting the ones that are polly for the dog bones or if i could find them i would not mind a solid mount to help regain some of the tork loss in the mounts.

good luck and please keep us posted on this.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: White05LT

I only seem to feel it under acceleration, it just feels like the engine is shaking. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate, niether does the brake or gas pedal. I only seem to feel it, when I notice the engine is under powered or like holding back. I believe it's the back pressure from the exhaust, and thats why I'm doing the U-Bend. If i still feel it after that, I'm going to bring it to the dealership to get checked out.
Your car being an 05', it should still be under warranty. Correct? If so, I would not replace the U-bend and then take it to the dealer. If they notice that you jacked with the exhaust system they may blame the problem on the mod and it will cost you.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM

you have a point jazz

not to mention keep track of oil changes etc.
they tried to get me on that one becuse they have never done a oil change on the car so they were not going to honnor the warnnety. i happen not to fill ou the log in the back of the owners manual i have always logged them in the puter in a excel file i have set up. so i printed the file and took it out there they shut up when they seen that the recoreds were complet just not done threw a dealer but they wanted to argue it real bad.

I have always been a stickeler for the recipets etc. and details on maintnace. make sure they are kept and from a ase certifieyd mechanic and preferably one from G.M. or trained by them in warrenty work.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 AM

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and if I still notice it I'll bring it to the dealer. The car is still under warranty. Will modding the exhaust void my warranty?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM

If the problem is exhaust related and you have modded it, they will likely use your mod as the fall guy.

It really depends on the dealership and if they even notice the addition.

When at the dealer.............."Don't ask, don't tell" You'll be better off..

Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 AM

LOL, thats pretty funny stuff! Will do, I can't wait to get the pipe in, It's already been shipped.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 AM

i heard one the other day he has gone from teh motor to the tail with 2.5" man it sounds nice. and he changed the muflers out to something else but has the resinator still in there.

I keep going back and fourth on this to leave it in or take it out. I like it loud but want to beabel to drive it with out a head acke also

Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 AM

My DP should arrive today... I can hardly wait to see how it sounds/performs....

I think I am going to leave my resonator in for now.

Quick Reply: Vibration under acceleration???