Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

vent door

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Default vent door

My vent doors for my AC is not opening when I put the AC on. I understand they open by a vacume (not the cleaner). Is there a way to manually open the vents with a Mityvac? If so how would I do that?

Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Default RE: vent door

No luck locating the leak?

I am sure you could manually open them but it would require tearing the system apart to find the doors. What year??

Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: pukas84

My vent doors for my AC is not opening when I put the AC on. I understand they open by a vacume (not the cleaner). Is there a way to manually open the vents with a Mityvac? If so how would I do that?

you answerd some of your own question here.
Yes they doors open on vacum. You can open them manually with the might vac.

The thing is to do it you have to get in to the system and find out where the hoses hook up for it and then hook your might vac in to those hoses.
More then likely you will find that it wont work. As you are useing the same hoses. If you get the hoses to where you can hook them in to the other vacum you mise well replace them and have it work the right way. Unless thier is something else to make them not work then replacing the hoses or finding the system leak would cure the issue.

Not to mention doing this might keep it from spreadig in to something else.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 AM

Well actualy my car is a 1984, I am pretty sure our ACs operate pretty much the same. I guess this weekend I'll check and maybe replace the lines, anh hope this fixes the problem. Thanks for you help, great forum!!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 AM

they should be pretty much the same
Also check there is a vac. resivor under there kind of like a big soda can that has been flatend. chec to see if it is leaking.
you can make a simpel solution to check for leacks with soappy water just make it heavy on the soap but still add some water in it .
You want it t make bubbels.

then start teh car and strat to put it on the lines as you can see them if it makes bubbles it is a leak.
Or if it sucks it in and you will see this happening on a good sized vac leak it is your aulprate.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:22 AM

It's been a while but I think you can use carb cleaner to find a vac leak as well, spray the vac lines, canisters till the engine bogs or runs at a reduced RPM.

Another thing to think of when looking at this is that the leak could very well be in the blend door unit. Location of the leak is the only true fix to this problem.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM

Well I checked my vac lines yesterday, unplug each connector, cleaned it up and pluged it back in. And now the vent door works great. I guess one of the line wasn't pluged in good. But thanks for your guys help. Great forum!!!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: pukas84

Well I checked my vac lines yesterday, unplug each connector, cleaned it up and pluged it back in. And now the vent door works great. I guess one of the line wasn't pluged in good. But thanks for your guys help. Great forum!!!
Glad I could help

that's cool you got it fixed, with winter coming and all

Old 10-05-2005, 05:03 AM

yeah im glad 04 could help you on this one i would hate to see you freeze with snow flying in some parts of the states already.

Good luck.

Also on that year not real sure if they have it or not or if it after the got rid of it.
under the hood there is a deal that gose inline with the hoses comming from your heater core. It is there to regulate how much flow the core gets. If you lose heat this could be the reason if it hasent been changed in years.

To check it.
mark a line on to it so you know where it shoudl be at rest.
Fire up the car bring it up to temp.
turn on your heat. and check to see if it has moved. It to is vac. powerd.
Some are all internal so you cant do this those you just replace or remove.
Wish i could find the old manual i had on the other monte but i think it was in the trunk. It give the atcual name of it.
but it controlls the defrosters also. the heat comming in to the core. So if it is not hot enough or not at all this is a good place to check.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

yeah im glad 04 could help you on this one i would hate to see you freeze with snow flying in some parts of the states already.
ahaha, I helped about as much suntanning oil in the winter time.

Quick Reply: vent door