Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vehicle shakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Default Vehicle shakes

Hello all

I have a 2002 MC SS, almost 79,000 miles on it. It's a small problem (well could be big once pin pointed) When the car is cold, when the car start moving, the whole car shakes. When i let go the gas - the shakes still remain and at same pace as before i let go. If i put the transmission in neutral - shakes are still there. Now once the car traveled 1-2 miles from parked, the shakes just goes away. Does it when I leave in morning and after I get off work - and it doesnt do it every day. I know there are different kinds of shaking can be felt but it feels like when you're sitting on the washing machine when its on spin cycle but at a slower pace. It changes as vehicle speed increase/decrease. It doesnt do this often enough but this cold morning it was alittle violent... I checked all tire pressures, as well (kept them at 30psi COLD)

I just wasted $400 dollars on my brake job (got ripped off) and I don't want to spend any more money especially $85 for the chevy dealership just to look at it to see whats up. And the service writer just looked at me blankly and think it may be dirty injectors (ran seafoam twice in tank this month and last month) or my transmission. Engine seems to run fine but what do I know.

Could the transmission causes shake like that? I know engine could. The previous owner bought 2 new firestone tires for front and left the goodyear tires in back - would that cause weird problems too?

Or maybe I am just losing it.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Default RE: Vehicle shakes

hey.im a mechanic at honda. i kno i dont work on chevys or nun but a prob like this is not car specific. its not ur tires. if ur car was shakin while on the highway then ur tires are out of balance. does it only happen on realy cold morning and night or is any time. is there enough oil in the car. it sounds to me like sumthin wrong wit the engine. or it could be nothin. did u just get the car or did it do this last year also/.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Different tires front to rear would not do it, although it could still be tire related. A bad or broken cord inside the tire can give a bad vibration and usually lessens once heated up. If the vibration doesn't change with engine speed or transmission engagement then those 2 are out also. CV shafts and brakes usually do it all the time even after operating temp is reached. Struts may have a similar effect but shouldn't be "violent". Change tires/wheels front to rear and see if problem changes or goes away, start there to narrow down the prob.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 85T5MCSS

Different tires front to rear would not do it, although it could still be tire related. A bad or broken cord inside the tire can give a bad vibration and usually lessens once heated up. If the vibration doesn't change with engine speed or transmission engagement then those 2 are out also. CV shafts and brakes usually do it all the time even after operating temp is reached. Struts may have a similar effect but shouldn't be "violent". Change tires/wheels front to rear and see if problem changes or goes away, start there to narrow down the prob.
this is probably the best guess I would have also. A way to help with the guess is do you feel the shack more in the seat of the car or in the steerign wheel. If it is in the steering the problem is generally in the front and in the seat the back.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: djizzle

hey.im a mechanic at honda. i kno i dont work on chevys or nun but a prob like this is not car specific. its not ur tires. if ur car was shakin while on the highway then ur tires are out of balance. does it only happen on realy cold morning and night or is any time. is there enough oil in the car. it sounds to me like sumthin wrong wit the engine. or it could be nothin. did u just get the car or did it do this last year also/.
I had a hard time making this out due to spelling taking my attention away from the actual answer, but if your car is shaking on the highway the first thing I would do is check is tire pressure and to make sure all your lug nuts are tight - can't beleive how many people miss this easy and dangerous fix.

Next I would have the tires balanced, alighned and rotated... especially if you haven't done it it awhile. Ask the techs if they can do a "FREE" inspect the steering and suspention to make sure there aren't any wobble problems.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:57 PM

As said before, having mismatched tires from front to rear wouldn't cause this problem. Even a tire with a shifted belt isn't likely to cause this, as the shaking would always be present. Without driving the car, it is hard to tell what is wrong with it. But it sounds like you could be describing a misfire or even a plugged cat (which they extended the warranty on) When you say the car shakes, do you mean the entire vehicle shakes? Or the steering wheel shakes? Is it more of a hesitation?

Old 11-25-2006, 12:52 AM

tires,tires,tires
click on girl's funny

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/E7346A7D0D71482884AEA528BBD12736.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/A875088EB3DC44A3A35E437710442844.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2006, 01:13 PM

Hey all!

Sorry for the late reply. Been real busy lately. Just moved to a new place last week. Thanks for the replies. Right now I cannot afford to have someone to look at it still. Also, have been testing my car some more.

Yes, I purchased the car used from someone 4 months ago. Carfax is clean (at the time I checked).I can stillverify the car shakes still persist once I put the transmission in neutral also revving the engine alittle -interval did not change - only the road speed changes. The whole carshakes, not just the steering wheel (it shakes with the car). Pretty muchI feel the shakingEVERY where in the car,seats, wheel -theentire car.The shakes usually goes away in a minute or so. Oil looks good, idles very good, rarely shakes, maybe it'll shake once but thats it. It has lots of power for sure. No hestitation at all when I step on gas. Tires cold pressure is at 30PSI - been checking alot. I'll need to get myself a torque wench but my tires were taken off at chevy dealership here for brake works - and shaking happens before and after if that helps. Drove the car on highway a few times at 70-75mph, car is smooth.

Once the car is "warmed up" after a mile or 2 even the engine coolant temp is not even close to 100F, car is smooooooooooooooth.

Anyway, thanks for the help again, I'll check the tires.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM

by chance are u driving a common route everytime this happens? if so try circling back after its warmed up and go over the same road the same way as before, just with the car warmed up.
only other idea i had was maybe theres some water in one of your tires. turns to ice, and then after a short drive breaks up, melts, or just slides around. dont ask how water ends up in tires, just something ive seen a few times.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:57 PM

Well,I kinda floored the car (I rarely push it)and the shimmy came back.. could barely feel it but its there. guessing not tires?

Nope, everywhere actually, work, old house, new house, etc.

Quick Reply: Vehicle shakes