Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Various problems - need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Default Various problems - need help

I have a 99 Monte Carlo Z34 with the 3.8 liter. The one problem I am having is that the car idles a bit rough after driving, and it isn't a regular problem, it's intermittent. It's almost as if it's idling lumpy, like it had a wild cam in it. Again, this happens only once in a while. The next problem is that the dashboard heater vents close up during acceleration and blow down on the floor instead. When I let off the gas, they come back on in the dash. It's not a serious problem, but an annoying one at best. I understand it can be a vacuum problem, but where is the best place to look. (Wondering if a vacuum issue would cause the idling problem?) Lastly, I have that blinker switch problem. I have seen many post about what the problem can be, but has anyone had this problem and actually had it fixed? I don't want to replace the hazard switch or the actual blinker stalk without knowing what others have succeeded with first.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Various problems - need help

yes a vaccum leak can cause the idle problem. that was the first thing i thought of then you mentioned the heater. i do beleive the hearter door is controled by vaccum. you may have a vaccum leake around the intake. usually its the intake. the other thing is if you have had a regulator problem the fuel leak will cause the fuel line to expand and will fall off the throttle body. id check that first and then check your intake leak with a can of brake clean. the flamable kind. spray around the intake and listen for a change in idle and if that dont work take the oil fill cap off and feel for vaccum. if no noticable vaccum spray down the oil fill and see if that changes anything. if it affects the idle of the vehicle than the vehicle has a vaccum leak and most likely needs intake gaskets. as far as your blinker are you talking about the intermittent blinker try playing around with your hazzard switch, press it ever so slightly and that should have an affect on the blinker opperation. it is not that bad of a job, but you may have a recall. id talk to the dealer and have the do a VIS on it.