Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Valve train chattering, dead miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Valve train chattering, dead miss

Hello folks.
My 2001 SS bit the bullet last week. It overheated, got to 240deg before I new it. Coolant was low, don't know where the leak is yet. I topped it off and drove about 350 miles fine with minimal fluid loss. Then Tuesday morning I went out to crank it and it had a dead miss on one cylinder and the top of the engine sounded like shaking rocks in a can. I didn't run it long, but I did notice good oil pressure before I shut it down.

I know it is hard to diagnose from a message board but I am wondering what is the common failure in the valve train with the 3.8's? When I removed the oil filler neck it appears that the engine got hot enough to bake the oil that wasn't circulating (oil that was inside the neck and high on the dipstick was baked hard and brittle). I am wondering if the baked oil debris could have blocked some oil flow in the lifters or rocker arms.

I am going through a messy divorce and really shouldn't sink a lot of money in it and really don't have the time to do it myself.

I'm open to suggestions. I live a long way from urban areas where used parts are plentiful so I am leaning towards a rebuild with new stuff. Should I just do the top half? Or just get a new/rebuilt engine? The car has about 150K miles.

Last edited by GTHSS; 10-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry for your misfortune Tommy. You could have a blown head gasket or other valve train issue, but If it were me I would go with a remanufactured long block swap considering the high mileage. You never know what further damage the heat and/or lack of oil circulation might have done to the internals and/or block. Personally I would get a used 3800, but I'm a reasonable distance from a junk yard where they're plentiful for around $500 with 100K miles on them. A remanufactured long block will run you about $2000. I think you have to consider the remaining life of the car. A reman. engine could last another 150K which puts your car at 300K. How about the transmission, C/V axles, wheel hubs, suspension, brakes? Have they been replaced?

Last edited by plumbob; 10-21-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah I am leaning towards a junkyard motor if I can find one. There is a place in Lynchburg that sells inspected used engines and trannies with a really good warranty, generally like 50k miles with full replacement but they are about $1000.

The axles and one wheel hub and caliper have been replaced. The transmission recently started shifting slow into overdrive but doesn't slip.

The body and paint is great and the interior is immaculate. She still turns heads gets me plenty of complements. I really enjoy it and hate to let it go. Dollars and scents wise it doesn't make sense to put 2 grand in it but I will be hard pressed to find another one in this shape. Part of me wants to keep it as a project car once the divorce is settled. I have always wanted a SC or Turbo v6.

Also want a 7th gen 5.3 too....dilemmas.

Last edited by GTHSS; 10-22-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member

Really sounds like ur between a rock and a hard spot. IMO 150K is the breakpoint where you could go either way (repair vs. replace the whole car) when major engine or transmission problems happen. The trans. might be OK today, but it seems like the average life of the 4T65E is about 150K. I think I'd replace the trans. at the same time if I went the repair route. I know your car is immaculate, but lots of mechanical/electrical probs seem to pop up around 150K so you have to consider the cost of future repairs. There's still quite a few low mileage Monte's out there if you have the time patience and funds to go the replacement route. Maybe you could keep your current car for parts?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member

Well I have some pretty good news all be it probably temporary. I took the advice of an old Moonshiner mechanic friend of mine. He said if it is just a stuck valve that I could buy some time if this trick works. I raised the hood yesterday and let the sun shine on the engine all day. Just before the temperature started to drop outside, I cranked the engine and immediately the engine was not making near as much noise. As I let it run at idle within 2 minutes the rattle went to a ticking two nothing. After that I added some Marvel Mystery Oil and it let the car idle for about 30 minutes and drove it around the yard some. It is running perfectly quiet and not missing. So evidently it was a stuck valve and the warmer temperatures allowed it to free up and get some oil circulating. I know this isn't a fix and other problems will probably arise but at least it can be a grocery getter as long as I keep oil and water in it and baby it. Maybe it'll buy me enough time to make a better decision.

Last edited by GTHSS; 10-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member

That's great news!
Long live your Monte!