Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tune-Up Cost? 97 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Default Tune-Up Cost? 97 Monte

How much does it generally cost to do a tune-up on this car? It has 84,400 miles on it and it runs well. I want to get a general tune-up before the 100,000 mile mark. What do they do when they do a total tune-up and how much do they usually cost?

My only problem with it is tapping from the head, but that's been going on unchanged for about 35,000 miles. And that's due to damage inflicted when my wife blew up the head before we met when she added non-Dexcool to the coolant. All the rest of the damage was fixed minus the slightly warped valve covers. I know that'll be about $1000 to $1500 right there.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Default RE: Tune-Up Cost? 97 Monte

The major part of a tune up for your car is more than likely a set of wires and plugs. I just did my wifes 98 GMC and it ran about $250. Then I would replace your fuel & air filters. Next your PCV valve. The of course I would get the injectors cleaned. If you have not had your trans flushed every 30K I would drop the pan and change the fluid.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: montejass

The major part of a tune up for your car is more than likely a set of wires and plugs. I just did my wifes 98 GMC and it ran about $250. Then I would replace your fuel & air filters. Next your PCV valve. The of course I would get the injectors cleaned. If you have not had your trans flushed every 30K I would drop the pan and change the fluid.

every 30k? I thought it was every 50k. And is a flush necessary or would simply changing the fluid/filter suffice?

Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

every 30k? I thought it was every 50k. And is a flush necessary or would simply changing the fluid/filter suffice?
I've been told by a couple of reputable trans guy's that you should flush them every 30K, if you wait much more than 30K a pan drop should be the only method of changing out trans fluid.

Allot of people don't like to flush the system and for good reason. There is some risk associated with a flush due to particles making its way into the valve body creating havoc. I'd be interested in hearing other views on this...

Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 PM

I had my transmission flushed in the spring. Haven't had problem one since. I had a minor slip shifting from 1st to 2nd when the car was warmed up, it went away after the flush. I was told to have a flush every 75k. Does climate have anything to do with frequency? (I live in New England)

Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Climate has allot to do with the longevity of trans fluid I would assume. 75K seems a little long, but if it works it works. I had mine done @ 30K and noticed a little difference in the way it shifts. Of course @ 30K it's damn near still new.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 AM

I'm up here thinking "aight, 20k more miles before tranny flush"

I guess I was wrong. I'll get it done when I get back from vacation.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Vacation???? I am envious... Where to?

Old 07-27-2005, 04:18 AM

Vacation???? I am envious... Where to?
Just going back to Cali to visit friends and family....Sacramento, Elk Grove, Modesto, San Jose, San Francisco, Oroville and Discovery Bay.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 AM

You should get a flush at 30k but you can go longer if necessary. If you do wait longer a pan drop isnt the only thing you should do, the flush is still needed to get the old fluid out of the torque converter.

My first post so high everybody! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Tune-Up Cost? 97 Monte