Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Trouble Starting and Can't Find Anything Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 AM
Question Trouble Starting and Can't Find Anything Please Help

Too much info on me appeared when I googled my username so I must remove as much of this info as I can sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by User 4623; 04-04-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Google search of my username comes up with this post and shares more personal info than I'd care to share
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 AM

When you say "it only happens when it's off for a bit" ...how long is a bit? Are you getting a CEL?

It could be a number of things. Anywhere from MAF, fuel pump, coils or even your injectors.

I wouldn't ignore it though now that the car is driving because it could lead to a bigger issue in the future. Hope it gets resolved soon brother!

Oh and welcome to the forum!!!!

Old 08-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
When you say "it only happens when it's off for a bit" ...how long is a bit? Are you getting a CEL?

It could be a number of things. Anywhere from MAF, fuel pump, coils or even your injectors.

I wouldn't ignore it though now that the car is driving because it could lead to a bigger issue in the future. Hope it gets resolved soon brother!

Oh and welcome to the forum!!!!
When I say a bit I mean about an hour or more. It never does it after the car has just shut off. Also no CEL.

A side note; the gas pump constantly shuts off while filling the tank. I believe this is unrelated. I also just put a new evap purge valve in.

Thanks for the reply and the welcoming.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM

I have a very similar problem with mine, and I have no idea what the issue is. I have the 3.8 and it usually start right up cold. I can go drive it and get it warm and then turn it off and it sits then it has a hard time starting. You turn the key and it cranks, but wont start. So after 2 times or so then it will start but its rought starting and the RPM's are all over the place when it starts then it goes back normal. Once it starts it drives fine. I have noticed if you put it in park then it will idle down weird and almost sound like its going to clunk out. Its really hard to explain. Its at the dealer today to get some recalls done and I told them about it. The guy said that it could be fuel pressure regulator. Anyone have these issues before?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by KKrueger24
I have a very similar problem with mine, and I have no idea what the issue is. I have the 3.8 and it usually start right up cold. I can go drive it and get it warm and then turn it off and it sits then it has a hard time starting. You turn the key and it cranks, but wont start. So after 2 times or so then it will start but its rought starting and the RPM's are all over the place when it starts then it goes back normal. Once it starts it drives fine. I have noticed if you put it in park then it will idle down weird and almost sound like its going to clunk out. Its really hard to explain. Its at the dealer today to get some recalls done and I told them about it. The guy said that it could be fuel pressure regulator. Anyone have these issues before?
I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition 3.8 L and no matter what time of day whenever I try to start it and it turns on then dies, and sometimes it won't even turn on it will just crank. So then I have to push the gas pedal in and turn it on and it usually does but I have to keep the pedal pressed for a little bit before it will idle by itself. This is really annoying since it takes a while to get it going. I just got my throttle body clean and that hasn't done the trick. If i could get some help that would be great

Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by preston4
I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition 3.8 L and no matter what time of day whenever I try to start it and it turns on then dies, and sometimes it won't even turn on it will just crank. So then I have to push the gas pedal in and turn it on and it usually does but I have to keep the pedal pressed for a little bit before it will idle by itself. This is really annoying since it takes a while to get it going. I just got my throttle body clean and that hasn't done the trick. If i could get some help that would be great
Mine is a JG Edition as well! Its at the dealer right now to get some recalls fixed, and they are going to diagnose this issue. I think it might be a fuel pressure regulator, but was also thinking throttle body. I will let you know what they tell me. Thanks

Old 08-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Thank you that would be great. Hope all goes well!

Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 PM

They just called me back... As I thought its a fuel pressure regulator that is bad. Its not a cheap fix either. Its $150 part and then they want over 340 plus tax to install it. I have to hold off for now and get quotes at other places. Seems really expensive to me, and not sure how bad it is to install it myself.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by KKrueger24
They just called me back... As I thought its a fuel pressure regulator that is bad. Its not a cheap fix either. Its $150 part and then they want over 340 plus tax to install it. I have to hold off for now and get quotes at other places. Seems really expensive to me, and not sure how bad it is to install it myself.
Save a ton of money and do it yourself. I did it recently on mine and was very straightforward with the help of this video:

Only cost me $64 and a few minutes of my time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/co...A?ie=UTF8&i=50

Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM

Thank you very much! Will this part work on my 3.8? It says it will not fit my vehicle.