Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Trouble with the 5.3L SS (2006)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trouble with the 5.3L SS (2006)

I have an 2006 SS the low oil light keeps coming on about a month after I get an oil change. I always get my oil changed at Valvaline. This problem just started a few months ago.

Today I took the car to the dealer and they said there is no leak, but the oil is one quart low. They said there are 5 quarts when there should be 6. They suggested that Valvaline might not be putting the right amount of oil in the car. But if that were the case then why wouldn't the oil light come on right afterthey change it? It takes a whole month for the low oil light to come on. I've been going to Valvaline for more than a year and this has never been a problem before so it seems that they know how to change the oil.

If I had an oil leak then there should be some oil in the places that I park regularly, but there isn't. What do you think is going on?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Default RE: Trouble with the 5.3L SS (2006)

Hi `Bill,
Maybe it could be the oil sending unit does not
come on until it gets below the 5 qt level ?
Did you ask your Chevy Service Advisor what the
oil light sending unit is set at ?
I would also check with your oil service center and
ask `if they put 6 qts into your Monte ?
Is it on your receipt on much they put in? Was it a new kid doing `it ?
If there is no leaks under your Monte, and its not burning oil,
then maybe they just have been shorting you on oil. : ( [:@]
Wish you Good Luck on resolving this issue.
from `Space

Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the fast reply Kid! I guess I have more questions to ask the Chevy guy when I get my car today. My fear is that they will wait until after my 36,000 miles are up and tell me I need a major engine repair. I will also try to find my receipt from Valvaline and see how much they put in there. But the guy who changes my oil is defferent each time so I dont think its a new guy.

I have about 200 miles before I hit 36,000 miles.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Maybe someone else with the 5.3 will chime in, but I thought it only took 5qts, and the rest 4.5qts.

Are you driving around with 6qts in right now? What did the level on the dipstick say? Supposedly the difference between the lowest hatch mark and the highest is 1qt.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 PM

I didn't check the dip-stick yet. The 1st time this happened I just got another oil change. The 2nd time, I just took it to the dealer. I will get it back later today and look at it. But the Chevy dealer said I should have 6 quarts in the car.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Bill, I would listen to your dealer and document and keep your receipts for inspection repairs. If you have a documented problem before you turn 36K, GM should still cover the problem. If not, it`s time for a lawyer. Good Luck.
My reseached revealed.
Question: How many quarts of oil does a 5.3L hold ?
Resolved Question[align=center][/align]What is the oil capacity for chevy V8's?
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
the 4.8 and 5.3 takes 6 qts to 6 1/4 quarts[/align]LS4[/align]

[/align]5.3L LS4 V8 in a 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS[/align][/align][/align]

LS4 can also refer to a 454in³ Chevrolet Big-Block engine of the 1970s [/align]
The LS4 is a smaller 5.3L (5,328cc/325.1cuin) version of the Generation IV block. Though it has the same displacement as the Vortec 5300 LH6, it differs in that it has an aluminum block rather than an iron one and it uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine.
This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications. According to GM, "The crankshaft is shortened 13 mm – 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end – to reduce the length of the engine compared to the 6.0L. All accessories are driven by a single serpentine belt to save space. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering." [7] Active Fuel Managemment is also used. Output of this version is 303hp (226kW)/300 hp on LaCrosse Super and 323ft·lbf (438N·m).
Applications:
[ul][*][align=center]2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala SS [/align][*][align=center]2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS [/align][*][align=center]2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP [/align][*][align=center]2008 Buick LaCrosse Super [/align][/ul]

Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Got the car back and they swear that nothing is wrong with it. I will closely monitor the oil and see what happens.

Also I have 5w-30 full synthetic in my SS. The Chevy place I went to said they don't use Synthetic and they also told me 10w-30 is as good as 5w-30 as long as I don't live too far north. I am in St. Louis, MO. Does anyone else have an opinion on using 5w-30 vs. 10w-30?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM

I've always used 5w-30 in my cars in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter. (I live in Michigan) In my experience with oil change places and even quick lubes at dealerships, some of those guys/girls don't know what they are doing. I had an '06 Chevy Aveo 1.6 liter DOHC 4 cylinder and the guy at the dealership forgot to put the oil cap back on and most of the oil runs at the top of the motor and I had 2 qts. left after this incident. No damage thankfully. If you're going to run synthetic, in my opinion, swith to Mobil 1 and do it yourself if you can. I don't think there is anything wrong with your car, although the light coming on at such a time is odd...Keep us updated.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM

I know what you're going through. I belive your car is burning oil. I check my fluids every time I fill up with gas and I always have to add 1/4 qt or more. I can't say if this is a recognized problem by Chevrolet but I can say that if there is something wrong they are not going to admit it and you are going to have to be one tuff cookie to get them to fix anything. Mention to them that you have read on line that other '06 5.3 owners have the same problem and see if it gets them to act. I would suggest a few things:

1. Check you fluids every time you stop for gas or at least once a week, which ever comes first.

2. Switch to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 extended life and Puralator Pure One Micronic oil filters

3. If you have a good relationship with your Chevrolet Service Center and they will substitute the above mentioned products at your request then have them do your oil changes. My philosophy is that only the dealer and I are qualified to work on my car.

4. Don't give up. The only way you're going to get these guys to fix a problem or at least admit that one exists is to be relentless.

I just checked my owners manual and it does say 6 qts of 5w-30. I would only 5w-30 becuase that is what the owners manual calls for. Also have you ever noticed how hot your engine is compared to other cars. The hood of mine will actually cuase blisters on your hand if you touch it after the car has been running for 30 minutes or more. I am going to get a thermometer and check it to see how hot is actually is.

On another similar note; I am having a great deal of trouble actually reading my oil dip stick. It takes me three tries at least to figure out what the oil level is. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Hey Lonestar,

I will look into this burning oil thing but I thought that there would be white smoke from the exhaust if it was burning oil and I haven't seen that.

I've been using Valvaline full synthetic 5w-30, it there really a big difference with Mobile-1? I heard Mobile-1 make a synthetic transmission fluid has anyone tried that?

The engine is hot. I was quite concerned at first when I would take a 15min drive down the street and pop the hood, the heat was a lot hotter than I expected, I even had my father and a few friends tell me that this is an unusual amount of heat unless I have hadbeen drivingfor an hour or more. I figured it just runs hotter than most other cars because the temp dial is always right in the middle.

Quick Reply: Trouble with the 5.3L SS (2006)