Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Transmission Whine

Hey Everyone,

My Mom has a 2000 Bonneville, which has the same 4T65E tranny that our Monte's share.

The tranny in the Bonne was totally rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago, and in the past 10,000 or so miles, the car has been producing this loud whining noise when accelerating past 2500 RPM, its especially noticable when driving through mountains.

At first we thought it was the power steering pump, and replaced it...but that was not it. Now after a lot of listening and driving, my Dad and I are pretty sure the whine is coming from the transmission.

My question is, what about the transmission could be causing this whining noise???

Also, we just realized that the transmission shop that rebuilt it, WAY over filled the transmission (about 1.5 quarts over full). So we got the level to the proper level, and the problem is still there. Could this have ruined something? We put about 25K on the car since it was rebuilt.

Thanks for your thoughts/ help everyone. I appreciate it.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi `Michael, is it still under waranty ?
Below are a few links that may give you some insight or things to check out.

Hopefully one of our expert tech's reads your thread question on that transmission & will be able to assist.
Below are a few sites to check out in the meantime : )
Good Luck

How an Automotive Transmissions Works
If the transmission filter becomes plugged due to debris in the transmission, it can make a whining noise. If the fluid level is low it can cause a gurgling ...
www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_work/transmission.htm - Cached - Similar

How to check transmission and discover possible transmission ...

how to check an automatic transmission or standard transmission, the clutch, ... there should be no grinding, whining or humming noise under any condition. ...
www.samarins.com/check/transmission.html - Cached - Similar

TROUBLESHOOTING BASIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Buzzing or whining noise, Low fluid level, Check and correct fluid level. Defective torque converter, scored gears, Have transmission checked professionally ...
www.procarcare.com/includes/.../21TSautotranny.html - Cached - Similar

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM

My car currently does the same thing. From what I've researched, it is the EPC Solenoid.

Might want to check out this page http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/ and hit the 4T65E problems link

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 AM

i would drop the pan and see if there is any metal exes shavings on the magnet that is on the trans pan. if there is there is a flaw that the shop didnt notice when they did a rebuild also did you get a new torqu converter as well when the bonnevile had the rebuild? when ever there is a rebuild the most comon thing gets over looked that is a major part of the automatic transmission is the torqu converter. when ever there is a need to replace or rebuild a transmission the torqu converter did not get replaced. because most shopes dont think the torqu converter might be the cause of the original trans falure. because the torqu converter is what a clutch is for a manuel trans. its like this would you replace a manuel trans with out replacing the clutch wich the odveuse is replace it as well. find out if the torqu converter has been replased as well. it also will cause a whine do to falure which is not engageing properly and putting a strain on the trans pump making a whine

Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM

10 Year Member

Yea, I actually already went and bought the stuff to drop the pan and do a fluid change. My only hope in that is something similar to the first link Space posted. I'm thinking MAYBE as the tranny broke in from the rebuild, all kinds of crap glogged the filter, and that could be the problem. Plus, the fluid (which was all replaced when rebuilt) is a rusty color now, which i've never seen before. Hmmmmmmm....

So I'll try the fluid change, and new filter. I'm going with my usual Valvoline Dexron VI Fully Synthetic fluid too.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM

what i mean is what i notice from some complants on some shopes not doing what is odvus thing to do during a rebuild. also replacing the solenoid's in and on the trans. my opinion some shopes just do what makes them the most money and hopes you come back to them when there is a problem when there is some thing simple to fix it and charge more money after the did a rebuild. even though when they had the trans out they should have replaced every thing as in giving you a parts list of what they needed to get for your trans to do a rebuild.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM

dont be ticked to do the flush twice to get all the funky colored fluid out. just make sure you dont drive it far inbotween imeedet flushes. because the flewid goes threw the torqu converter and you may have to do it twice on the same weekend or when you have a two day day off

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 AM

10 Year Member

Well, supposedly, and according to the receipt for the rebuild, it was a "complete rebuild, like new"

We got hosed for that tranny rebuild, we literally could have taken it to the dealer and got a new transmission for what we paid to have it rebuilt. If only I knew more about it back then. It was AAMCO that did the rebuild too...that will NEVER happen again.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM

when i was working for malloy auto mall aamco got there trans from the dealer that i worked. for because there wernt hyundai and mazda rebuild kits so i guess they had to get a rebuild trans from us that we got from the manufacturer. thats why i guess why i like my dads mazda the manufacturer wants to know what made the trans to go bad. then they rebuid it and test it before sending it out to the dealer's. that whats gm started to do when they got the help. what i mean they started to do a quality controll. when people gets there cars fixed at the dealers

Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
It was AAMCO that did the rebuild too...
Sounds like you know the problem already. I would probably drive it until it dies and then swap a used transmission in.

Unless the car is planned to be kept for a long time, the PROPER rebuild could be useful

Quick Reply: Transmission Whine