Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission problem shifting between R and D?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Transmission problem shifting between R and D?

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo LS with cruise control on the steering wheel. The last few days I've had an intermittant problem, I think always when cold, when I turn the car on and back out of my driveway, come to a full stop, then shift from reverse to drive and wait for the gear to engage (not lagging, normal gear change time), and every now and then I'd push the gas and the car would move forward slightly, the revvs would rise like the transmission was slipping, I heard a whining noise, and the "Traction Control" indicator would come on in the display panel on the dash like it does when the TC kicks in for wheel spin.

I immediately pushed the shifter back into neutral, stopped again, and put it back into drive, and the car shifted into D fine. Once I shifted into Drive and the vehicle went into gear properly, I don't have any issues the whole rest of the time I'm driving in D.

Then today the problem happened when I was driving and had to shift out of Drive into Reverse, it gave me the same issue in Reverse. Again I shifted into Neutral, stopped, and shifted back into Reverse and it worked fine.

I'm always very gentle with my transmission, I always park with the parking brake on and I always come to a complete stop between Reverse and Drive.

Any ideas?

Also, a second unrelated question just in case anyone happens to know a quick answer...my turning signals work intermittantly as well, sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they don't come on at all, never anything in between. My flashers also have the same issue, and I've read that it's likely the hazard switch. Does that mean the hazard button assembly itself in the dash, or is there a solenoid type switch or electronic relay somewhere under the dash that needs to be replaced? And if so, where's it at? lol

Last edited by dragknt; 04-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think it's your tranny, but actually a problem with your wheel hub assembly. But there are 4 of them, so you'll have to hook up to a scanner and find out which is tripping the TC

Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
I don't think it's your tranny, but actually a problem with your wheel hub assembly. But there are 4 of them, so you'll have to hook up to a scanner and find out which is tripping the TC
Thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, if it was the wheel hub, why would shifting to neutral then back into drive fix the problem every time? Also, why would the revs rise and the car only move forward slightly, with the whine, if it was an issue with the traction control?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be a sensor telling the car that one of your tires aren't spinning with the other ones, putting your computer into an abuse mode and messing with the car.

i'm just saying, if you are throwing a light, then you are throwing a code. Get the code checked out and if it's a hub assembly it will be a lot cheaper than fixing the tranny.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Your LS has traction control? My 04 doesn't. Wish it did because it is very easy to over power the tires in the snow.