Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Default transmission

hey whats up, i just bought a 72 monte carlo. when im at a stop sometimes the transmission doesnt kick in unless i rev it up a lil bit. it has tranny fluid.also, once it gets goin it drives perfectly fine.the guy i bought it from said the tranny was replaced. im thinking the vacuum line that goes to it? what do u guys think?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Default RE: transmission

Well it could be that when they replaced the tranny, they put a higher Stall Converter in it. It will "Stall" untill the motor reaches a certain RPM and the the convertor is spinning fast enough to engage. Is the "Stall" always the same or does it start going at different RPM? If it does, then check all your cables, and any vaccum lines going to it.

Also do you happen to know what model tranny is in it? That would help.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 PM

when i had just bought the car, i remember downshifting into second manually with my shifter, and i had it in second gear and once it reached a certain rpm it would stall and go back up and stall , and so on. like if someone was playin with the gas pedal. how would i know what torque converter to put so it drives good. its a 350 engine. dont know what rear end gears it has. and has a turbo 350

Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 PM

if its doing it in any gear but first, something is wrong with it. Your best bet would be to take it to a reputable tranny shop locally. is it making any strange noises, grinding, whining, ect? Do you see any fluid leaks or smell burnt fluid?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM

i dont smell any burned fluid , but i do hear a kind of sound like when ur brakes are constantly grinding on metal. it could be the tranny or the brakes. i gotta look into it more. i hope its not the tranny. thx for ur help. i'll keep u posted on the progress.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 PM

probably need new brake pads. Probably the indicator tab rubbing on the rotors.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:00 PM

sounds like the pump, but could be the torque converter or a clogged filter, If it doesnt shift until you get to higher RPMs then check the vacuum modulator. but if it shifts OK when your up and running I would say the pump.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM

i'll check the pump, cuz i noticed the guy that i bought the car from put two filters. one right before the fuel pump and one before the carb. which i kinda think is not necessary. i'll take the one before the pump off and replace the other one before the carb. i still gotta check if the vacuum line is even connected on the tranny too.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: og_silent

i'll check the pump, cuz i noticed the guy that i bought the car from put two filters. one right before the fuel pump and one before the carb. which i kinda think is not necessary. i'll take the one before the pump off and replace the other one before the carb. i still gotta check if the vacuum line is even connected on the tranny too.
I was refering to the pump in the transmission and the filter in the transmission pan, but first check the modulator on the drivers side of the tranny just above the pan it should have a vacuum line on it, pull the line and see if any tranny fluid comes out, If not pull the pan and change the filter if you find metal or any kind of loose junk in the pan the tranny needs rebuilt, if not and still does the same thing it's the pump again tranny needs rebuilt.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 AM

If he pulls the vacuum line off of the modulator and it has transmission fluid in it he probably has more problems then indicated. (he would be sucking transmission fluid in his carb) If you lose vacuum to the modulator it makes the car want to stay in first gear. (No Vacuum to the valve body therefore no shifting).

If the cars is slipping like he indicated I would say that:

A. the tranny filter needs replaced or,

B. The clutches and steel plates are shot.

C. Smell the transmission fluid on the stick. If it smells burnt or like strong alcohol it needs replace because it has lost it's vicosity and probably the clutches and steel plates are shot.

Quick Reply: transmission