Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Trans help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Default Trans help!

Hello! New member here. First, I'd like to say thank you, for I have learned more about 6th gen Montes than I ever would have imagined. I bought a 2000 SS about 4 years ago (torch red, 136k miles for $3300) and should have named it Murphy. After multiple shop visits, repairs done by myself, and at least $4k, everything (other than an EVAP reroute and shorted out auto dimming morror) was fixed! Until....

The main question I have right now is, will a trans from a 2000 LS work in my 2000 SS? I believe the answer is yes, but would like confirmation.

My 2000 SS (3.8L NA) now has 185k miles and no 4th gear. 1st feels like half power and is jerky with anything but light throttle. 2nd and 3rd are good most of the time, other than long shift on light to normal acceleration and a pretty hard shift when my right foot gets heavy.

An acquaintance has a 2000 LS with 105k miles that hit three deer and is totalled. Car was in like-new condition before hitting the deer. He's been trying to get me to buy it for the last two months for $1000. Got a text last night that said $600 if I can take possession this week. Comes with a headlight and primed hood and passenger front fender. Needs everything but the roof and trunk lid replaced. I drove it a month ago. Transmission shifted wonderfully and engine pulled hard through 100mph.

I called two shops (general repair, not trans shops) and was told (labor only) $840 by one and $950 by the other to pull both trans, install the good one in my SS, and get the LS back to where it can be trailered.

Performance-wise, I plan on adding a cat-less downpipe (or just a u-bend delete as the installed cat is only 3 years/~45k miles old), CAI, cat back exhaust, high velocity intake insert, high velocity TB, and PCM tune. With these additions, I was thinking about a kit from Triple Edge Performance, but would that be necessary? I'm guessing all said and done, that would cost me about $700-$1000 more. Would an HD diff and axles be money better spent? Does the HP gain I have planned even warrant that?

I have a friend who will help me sell the 3.4L engine to recoup some of the costs.

Sorry this got so long, but thanks for reading and responding. Any other additional information is welcome too.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Yes, the transmission is the same as long as it's not a supercharged SS. I say go for it.

Here's a chart for reference:

SdkC80X.png

Old 07-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Yes, the transmission is the same as long as it's not a supercharged SS. I say go for it.

Here's a chart for reference:

I second that, but just to be safe compare the large vertical letters on the transmission ID tags located on the side of the differential facing the back of the car. Triple Edge has a web page showing the tag I'm talking about. I don't think going to an HD is necessary unless you're planning mods to increase horsepower. You might want to upgrade to a hardened 4th gear hub though while the trans. is out. That only requires opening the side case to access. Sounds like a win-win situation for everybody. A used trans alone from a junkyard would cost $500.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Yes, the transmission is the same as long as it's not a supercharged SS
With that, I need to throw in there that it isn't quite this simple. There are subtle changes that prevent things from being compatible, but as long as you are getting the trans from a pre-03 Monte Carlo you should be fine. There were some slight electronic changes in 2003 that hinders the trans from being as easy as a quick swap. From an 00 LS, you should be fine though.

However, you should do the math from buying the car, paying taxes, doing title stuff, towing, selling the car after you part it, etc. etc.

When I needed a new trans for my 00 SS and I was doing it on the cheap, I called up a local shop, talked to them about a junk yard trans and costs, and asked them for a flat rate to do the work. I wound up with a used trans under what you are and all I had to do was drop off my car one day.

Most places have deals with local junk yards, and can probably source a transmission for pretty cheap and have it sent to their shop.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the replies! I just went ahead and bought the car last night. I checked out the seals on the top of the doors and they are intact, whereas on my SS they are broken about halfway down. That alone makes up half the cost. Plus any other misc pieces that I feel like switching over will pay for itself. Plus I have a friend who wants to buy it for a derby car when I'm done. If that falls through, i know someone who wants the engine.

Haven't checked out the label yet. Will do that tomorrow when I'm off work.

Towards the end of my last post I mentioned the power adders I have planned. Not sure how much power will be added at the wheels when said and done. 50? 70?

Will order a hardened 4th gear hub. I had thought of that since that's what went bad on my current ride but have since forgotten lol. Should I order new solenoids too? Thanks again.

Last edited by nd_hunter@yahoo.com; 07-25-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nd_hunter@yahoo.com
Thanks for the replies! I just went ahead and bought the car last night. I checked out the seals on the top of the doors and they are intact, whereas on my SS they are broken about halfway down. That alone makes up half the cost. Plus any other misc pieces that I feel like switching over will pay for itself. Plus I have a friend who wants to buy it for a derby car when I'm done. If that falls through, i know someone who wants the engine.

Haven't checked out the label yet. Will do that tomorrow when I'm off work.

Towards the end of my last post I mentioned the power adders I have planned. Not sure how much power will be added at the wheels when said and done. 50? 70?

Will order a hardened 4th gear hub. I had thought of that since that's what went bad on my current ride but have since forgotten lol. Should I order new solenoids too? Thanks again.
50-70 h.p. might be a challenge w/o going supercharged etc. Add that much and you'll need that 4T65e-HD. A NA 3800 is 200 h.p. and a stock supercharged is around 250 h.p.

Solenoids are a great idea. They're pretty inexpensive so you might as well. A new torque converter is highly recommended. Maybe a shift kit and new channel plate gaskets, and if the pan gasket is not an OEM, re-usable metal core type I'd replace that too, and a filter of course. Contact Dave at Triple Edge and he'll fix you up with everything you need.

Last edited by plumbob; 07-25-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 PM

50-70 hp isn't necessarily the goal, just wondering what a CAI, exhaust, tb, intake insert, L67 coil packs, and mail order PCM tune would add, and if those additions would require the HD diff and axles.

Due to my budget, I think at this time all I can afford are the 4th gear hub, solenoids, and gaskets. The shop will also be doing the oil pan gasket and crank seals when they swap the trans out. Initial labor quote dor the swap was $840, without installing the hub and solenoids and gaskets, plus 75 for the oil pan gasket and crank seals. I plan on providing all parts and trans filter and fluid. I've seen chibi advocate Dexron 6.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:05 PM

15 Year Member

50-70 hp isn't necessarily the goal, just wondering what a CAI, exhaust, tb, intake insert, L67 coil packs, and mail order PCM tune would add, and if those additions would require the HD diff and axles.
CAI, Exhaust if it's header/downpipe change, and a tune would add MAYBE 10hp. However, the tune will help driveability a ton, and really make the car FEEL like more.

I've seen chibi advocate Dexron 6.
Yep! It's actually pretty hard to even buy Dex3 anymore (although shops still can). Because Dex6 is compatible and it's a synthetic that really helps keep the temps down

Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
CAI, Exhaust if it's header/downpipe change, and a tune would add MAYBE 10hp. However, the tune will help driveability a ton, and really make the car FEEL like more.
Thanks for the info. I obviously had no idea what to expect lol.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM

15 Year Member

Thanks for the info. I obviously had no idea what to expect lol.
Yeah these engines really don't add crazy power until you start to boost.

I think a built L36 only put down roughly 222whp on a dyno. That was upgrading heads and everything.