Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction system warning!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe that hub wasn't the one throwing the code haha

Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Maybe that hub wasn't the one throwing the code haha
So true! Either have the error code pulled or test the harnesses with a multimeter as described earlier in this thread. Though getting the code first would be easier in case it's actually not a faulty harness.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 AM

yea i have heard its a big problem with many cars. im not sure if the oreileys here has the abs scanner. but thats the only place we got here. I will make sure i get that done ASAP. thanks for your reply and help.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Did you buy the replacement section, or just splice in new wire? If you bought one, were did you get it?

Thanks - Doug

Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dbarn
Did you buy the replacement section, or just splice in new wire? If you bought one, were did you get it?

Thanks - Doug
I bought the replacement section which is what the picture shows. The connector is for the connection by the wheel/brake caliper and the other end was of course where I spliced it to the main harness. It also came with the plastic clips to hold the wire to the control arm and chassis in case the old ones get mangled. I ordered mine from Rockauto.com for $35 total and had the part in 3 days. O'reilly and Autozone would have had to order it and with the special order fee and sales tax would have been $55 and taken up to 10 business days. Lame!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Forgot to mention the brand, it was a Dorman part.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:48 PM

I had this same problem come up this week on my way to the car wash. Luckily i was going to the exhaust guy afterwards and was able to take a look at the hubs while he was looking at the exhaust on the lift.

The attached image was my issue. One of the easiest repairs ever

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (13.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Has anyone noticed this problem only when it's raining/snowing? Mine just started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. The light turns off at every starting of the engine, then eventually I'll feel the system doing something in my pedal (gas or brake), then the light will come on and the system will shut off.

I had noticed that it hadn't done it in almost a week, then Friday it came on and it was raining. Then on Saturday it came back on and it was raining. Today, dry roads and no light.

I'm thinking this points to a wire problem. Maybe its getting wet and shorting out.

Also, This all happened to start after a self oil change. I had the jack stand right where I needed the oil pan when I took the filter off and I spilled a $#!% ton of oil all over the lower control arm and tire and floor. Anyone think that could be related, or just a coincidence? I don't know if the right front is the problem, just a theory.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Endo
Has anyone noticed this problem only when it's raining/snowing? Mine just started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. The light turns off at every starting of the engine, then eventually I'll feel the system doing something in my pedal (gas or brake), then the light will come on and the system will shut off.

I had noticed that it hadn't done it in almost a week, then Friday it came on and it was raining. Then on Saturday it came back on and it was raining. Today, dry roads and no light.

I'm thinking this points to a wire problem. Maybe its getting wet and shorting out.

Also, This all happened to start after a self oil change. I had the jack stand right where I needed the oil pan when I took the filter off and I spilled a $#!% ton of oil all over the lower control arm and tire and floor. Anyone think that could be related, or just a coincidence? I don't know if the right front is the problem, just a theory.
My car started to do this last friday...it was raining and nasty out. Car was fine for the trip across town, then pulled out to head back and the ABS light and TRAC OFF light both came on (with chime). They then stayed on the entire time, including when I drove it on Saturday. It was also rainy on Saturday.

However, when I drove it on Sunday...which happened to be a dry day and the road were becoming dry...the lights were gone and didn't come on. This is the first instance that I've ever noticed this happen.

I had the ABS codes ran on Saturday (when lights were on) and it brought up codes:

C1218-Pump Motor Circuit Short to Voltage or Motor Ground Open.
C1276-Delivered Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction
U1016-Manufacturer Specific (Loss of Communication with Engine Control Module (ECM).

From these codes, and the common issue coming when it's wet out...you might be onto something.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Furder2010
My car started to do this last friday...it was raining and nasty out. Car was fine for the trip across town, then pulled out to head back and the ABS light and TRAC OFF light both came on (with chime). They then stayed on the entire time, including when I drove it on Saturday. It was also rainy on Saturday.

However, when I drove it on Sunday...which happened to be a dry day and the road were becoming dry...the lights were gone and didn't come on. This is the first instance that I've ever noticed this happen.

I had the ABS codes ran on Saturday (when lights were on) and it brought up codes:

C1218-Pump Motor Circuit Short to Voltage or Motor Ground Open.
C1276-Delivered Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction
U1016-Manufacturer Specific (Loss of Communication with Engine Control Module (ECM).

From these codes, and the common issue coming when it's wet out...you might be onto something.
Interesting. Is there any type of indication that its only one wheel?

I also should mention that I have a K&N CAI so the computers (ECM?) that were enclosed in with the factory air box are now exposed. You don't happen to have that in common too do you? I was always concerned with water getting up in there, but clearly K&N isn't, and I assume they know more than I do.

Quick Reply: Traction system warning!?!