Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction system problem

Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Traction system problem

After getting my car back a week ago from the shop after replacing a intake manifold gasket, soon after did my "Service Traction System" light pop on in the message center along with the "((ABS))" and "TCS" (the light that comes on when you push the traction button) light in the gauge cluster. About 5mins later the "Service Traction System" light in the message center will go away but then the two lights in the gauge cluster will stay on till i shut my car off. Long story short, I went to Autozone and they said it was the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is unfortunately located in the wheel hub. Is their any way i can tell which wheel hub it is?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM

The VSS isn't located on the hub but on the passenger side's transaxle. It's held there by one bolt and it's pretty easy to get to. BTW, change the O ring with a new one when you do change it. You should check it first before you replace it to make sure the VSS is defective. The sensor only has 2 wires so it isn't to hard to check but you'll probably need someone to rotate the right front side tire for the test. Do not disconnect the sensor. Using a voltmeter, connect the leads to the 2 connector's wires, set the VM to AC volts scale, turn the ignition key to the ON position and have someone turn the front right tire (by hand) while you watch the VM. The sensor should produce a minimum of .5 volts and the voltage should increase as the transaxle output shaft rotates faster. Turn the ignition key OFF and disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor. Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance across the 2 terminals of the sensor. The sensor resistance should be between 1500 and 1650 ohms at 68*F. (If the test results are incorrect, have the VSS checked by a dealer service department)

A defective VSS can cause driveability and transaxle problems, as well as speedometer misreadings.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's a hub you would need a diagnostics reader to read the ABS codes (autozone can't read those)

Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

it will be the abs sensor on the hub that is causing the problem, and i dont think there's a way to easily tell which one it is, you'll just have to try them 1 @ a time

Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM

The hub sensor connectors can get dirty causing bad signal readings and thus setting off the STS light. You could try cleaning them with an electrical cleaning spray, available at radio shack, to remove the offending dirt. You may want to check for damage to the wires/connectors by following the wiring to the hub sensors.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM

That's what the guy said at the shop after I got my car back chichiblacksheep. Is their a store that can read the code? The guy at Autozone said that it was the hub....or that its in the hub...so should I just check the sensors then and clean them up montyss02?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM

For starters, I'd clean them as good as possible and check the wiring for damage. As far as the diagnostic reader, you may have to go to the dealer un less you can find someone that will do it for you at a reasonable price. It doesn't hurt to call around and check the neighborhood mechanics to see if anyone can read your car.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

And why is this in the A/V sub-forum?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM

well it is part of "Audio/Visual Electronics" if you really think about it haha...couldnt decide on another place for it

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's in the General Tech section.. IDK what you mean :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction system problem