Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

traction service???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default traction service???

whats going on gents...recently when i drive i feel the traction going on when i pull out and then it drives normally till i get to a light or stop sign and it does the same thing sometimes the traction will go off on its own and ill get a message service traction control...
weather is all dry and acceleration is v bad unless i take the traction control off

has anyone encountered this issue?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Have your computer scanned for error codes pertaining to the traction system. Sounds like it maybe is one of your wheel sensors or the wire harness going bad which is typical in these models.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member

well i checked the check engine light a few days before the issue and got something with my tranny, i think i should wait till the traction system shuts off on its own the go back, i noticed the abs light turns on as well i dont no if that will narrow anything down

Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 AM

I just had this problem fixed on my 04 Monte and it was a speed sensor that was keeping my ABS from engaging. Everytime I got in the car my ABS light and Trac light came on and my warning area said service traction system. My warranty covered my abs sensor replacement and they paid for the diagnosis on my car to figure out what the problem was.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member

thats exactly my issue, im gonna look into it and see if i do it on my own i wish i had a warranty lolol

Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 PM

I have been having the same problem and finally resolved it.
First, I knew I had a bad hub bearing assembly and found one on line for $50 with free delivery. Installed it and all OK ... for a few weeks, then the trac & abs kept kicking in and/or going active.
Had a bit of warp in one front disc that I thought mifgt be the problem, so found two at Rock auto for $53 and ordered. Went to replace front disc pads and rotor and had ordered #&$#%% rear rotors! Since I was in process of replacing pads I went and installed the new rear rotors just in case my guess of front disc was wrong.
Then, not wanting to wait, bought a used front disc for $30 and installed it which fixed the warp problem, but not the trac/abs problem.
Researching, I found that the front wire harnesses on the the 2001 and other years had a problem. Tried O'Reilly and Autozone to see if their scanners would pinpoint which wheel was the problem with no luck.
Finally took each tire off for maximum access to sensor harness connections and did a resistance test both sides of the connections and they all showed the nearly same resistance. Cleaned with electronic cleaner and made sure securely connected.
Had heard grounding problems could be the source of this problem so followed grounds from battery to block and chassis, undid, cleaned, brushed, sanded and replaced.
Took a drive and the problem is solved so far, for a few days a least.
Any emission monitor pros here? Check out my new post.
Good luck everyone.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Default Did That Work

I am getting ready to tackle the Service Traction, ABS issue my self. After all of that cleaning did you have that light come on again. And does anyone know how to locate the specific sensor that is causing the problem. Is it always hit and miss. I have a simple scanner, i don't think mine will pick up a wheel sensor.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 AM

BigT, funny you should ask. Just yesterday the Trac light started coming on. Most scanners will not pick up which wheel but I have been told it is almost always a front wheel.
I am going to try checking and recleaning one of the front wheel connections and see if it goes away. If not, go to the next wheel until I find the bad connection and then replace the harness.
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
Cheers

Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stardust
BigT, funny you should ask. Just yesterday the Trac light started coming on. Most scanners will not pick up which wheel but I have been told it is almost always a front wheel.
You need an ABS scanner to read which tire.

And it isn't always a front. I had this issue twice, the first time was the FR, and the second was the LR

Quick Reply: traction service???