Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction/abs light

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Default Traction/abs light

Lately when I start up my 03 SS I get a traction and abs light staying on until you recycle the ignition switch then it is ok for a day or so. Today I got the same lights along with a service traction message. I am going to jack the car up and remove the abs connectors and clean them and reset the system. Has anyone had any exposure to this problem? Reading the owners manual it basically says both are tied to the front wheels. Thanks for any help as always.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM

I cleaned the connectors with no help. Done some google searches on M/C traction problems and it seems there are a few problems out there. Cant buy just a sensor you have to buy the whole hub because the sensor is incorporated into the forward hub assembly. Dont look too hard to replace. I can find them on ebay delivered fot $56 dollars each. I am still courious if anyone has had any such problems.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Yep, sounds like a wheel bearing sensor bit the dust. You'll need to replace the entire hub assembly.

Have you taken the car to Advance/Autozone/wherever and had it scanned? The code will indicate which sensor is failed.

The hub assembly isn't too bad to replace if you've got some shade tree mechanic experience. I've had great luck with the offerings from ZZP:
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=837

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will need to change a wheel hub assembly, however your ABS lights can't be read at autozone, you need a specific code reader and usually the free ones don't work.

assemblies aren't hard to do yourself. If you can change the brakes/rotors you can do a hub assembly.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/G...ent/index.html

^that is a good walk-through of how to do it. (with pictures)

Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the link to the replacement. When I had the one wheel off last night it did not look very hard. Now I know I need a 36mm deep socket. I dont have an advance auto here but I have napa. I dropped the car of at chevy today and the told me they would confirm which sensor failed and charge me only $47 dollars fee. That did not seem too unreasonable to me. Besides I received a recall some time back that needed complied with about some wire needed relocated or something like that to prevent a fire under the hood. Thanks again for the link. I'll tell you which sensor failed tomorrow

Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Make sure you have a breaker bar for the axle nut and a hammer to whack the old hub out- the three jaw puller approach has never worked for me, but the "BFH" approach always has.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM

15 Year Member

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Just picked the car up from chevy they were unable to get the car to screw up. They said the computer showed several different codes but they could not determine which one had failed. They drove the car extensively. They did not charge me for the scan and work. They told me to bring it back when the light is on again. They cleared the memory from the computer. I will keep everyone advised.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM

15 Year Member

That was the problem with my car, took a while before it could act up to determine which hub it was.

Just hopefully you can get it done before the bad weather so you don't lose ABS / Trac

Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Well it only took 3 starts away from the dealer before the lights came on again. I returned back to the dealer and he scanned it again and it shows the [ECBM] electronic control brake module as failed. They still didnt charge me for the diagnosis. Their estimate was $877 for the part and $288 to install and program it. I said I will research for the best prices. I got home and opened up the hood and got my hammer out and percussion adjusted the module and cleaned the connector. Light has not come on again yet after 3 more starts. Hopefully a good fix but I doubt it. If light where is best place to buy module? I found it on GM parts direct for little less than $500 dollars. Why would this module have to be Programmed? This is what the dealer is telling me?

Quick Reply: Traction/abs light