Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Top Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Top Swap

Hello, I got my top swapped 3800 running yesterday. I ran it all day to run out a full tank of regular gas to replace it with premium. I haven’t put on an exhaust system yet. I got the tank down to a quarter when I began to smell coolant and see white smoke coming from under the hood. Inspected an saw coolant coming from the lower intake orange rubber bridge gasket on the driver side of the motor. I’m not surprised about the leak because after torquing bolts in sequence. I noticed it didn’t squish out the side as well as the passenger side. I parked it, now I have begun to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets. I noticed oil seepage on the upper intake gasket. Do anyone RTV that area? Also are there any other places to RTV for extra precaution?

Here’s a clip of it running without exhaust.

https://mega.nz/file/BgcUVbaY#Bu6jzyC5ZLtDSKipEFOv0bbyQa8-FnTOSdNYkQSUlms

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 11-02-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lilmonteZ34
Inspected an saw coolant coming from the lower intake orange rubber bridge gasket on the driver side of the motor
Which gasket are you talking about the SC to LIM or that little crossover loop on the LIM?

I’m not surprised about the leak because after torquing bolts in sequence. I noticed it didn’t squish out the side as well as the passenger side
Was this when torquing the SC down or the LIM to heads? If it was the LIM to head gasket, I'd be very worried about coolant getting down into the valley. A lot of people have spun bearings from getting coolant down in there.

I noticed oil seepage on the upper intake gasket. Do anyone RTV that area?
Is this the SC to LIM gasket? If so, it shouldn't need it / doesn't come with it from the factory.

A lot of people have used RTV instead of the gasket when doing an intercooler as the openings don't line up correctly anymore. But I wouldnt go that route unless you have to as its a bear to separate later.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Which gasket are you talking about the SC to LIM or that little crossover loop on the LIM?

I’m talking about this gasket.

Was this when torquing the SC down or the LIM to heads? If it was the LIM to head gasket, I'd be very worried about coolant getting down into the valley. A lot of people have spun bearings from getting coolant down in there.

When torquing the LIM to the heads. The leak was leaking out and dripping down below the throttle body. Coolant dripped into the valley when I lifted the lower intake manifold. It didn’t appear to be any in the valley other than the drips which I cleaned out. I’m starting the think it could have been leaking from the gasket for that cooling cap that has two bolts under the throttle body since I replaced the gaskets on it. It wasn’t clear exactly where the leak was coming from I just know the general area.

Is this the SC to LIM gasket? If so, it shouldn't need it / doesn't come with it from the factory.

A lot of people have used RTV instead of the gasket when doing an intercooler as the openings don't line up correctly anymore. But I wouldnt go that route unless you have to as its a bear to separate later.
I see an can understand the hassle of removing it. The way oil saturated the Upper manifold gasket makes me wonder considering I only drove it one day. It’s helpful for opinions. I really don’t want it to become a problem down the line.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 11-02-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:47 PM

I’m talking about this gasket.
And you said coolant was coming out of it? That means the LIM wasn't seating down all the way and coolant was making its way past the LIM gasket AND out of this one. Id change the oil ASAP if that's the case. The coolant ports are fairly far in - so for it to be actively leaking coolant out of the valley seal, it had to be spraying into the valley too.

This is one spot I would stick a blob of RTV at all 4 corners where these touch the LIM gaskets.

I’m starting the think it could have been leaking from the gasket for that cooling cap that has two bolts under the throttle body since I replaced the gaskets on it. It wasn’t clear exactly where the leak was coming from I just know the general area..
Thats odd for that to leak - Ive not seen that before, especially with a new gasket. Were the bolt holes clean to allow you to get it to torque spec?

I'd still change the oil if you have any suspicion at all that it was coming from that orange valley gasket. Any coolant in that valley is a death sentence for the engine.

​​​​​​​The way oil saturated the Upper manifold gasket makes me wonder considering I only drove it one day.
There shouldn't be any oil pressure up there on the gasket from the LIM to SC. Was it the PCV ports that had oil saturation? Id be really surprised if you saw that much oil saturation from just blowby gasses in a single day.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member

It appears that I forgot to install the new pvc valve I had. I do remember torquing those two bolts. I’m thinking the vibration from the engine vibrated then loose because I was able to hand unscrew them. The gasket looks like it was stretched from the pressure when the bolts loosened. The side gasket was included when I purchased a new LIM gasket set from the dealer earlier. 10-4 about about the oil change.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 11-03-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member

Hey, I’ve replaced what I mentioned in previous post and put everything back together. I’ve since been driving for about a week now. I haven’t had any leaks. I’ve had a full exhaust installed.

If this may help anyone in the future. When installing and torquing the two bolts for the intake coolant gasket. I didn’t add a thread locker. Since adding thread locker it hasn’t leaked.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 11-10-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet exhaust setup! So shiny!

Old 11-10-2022, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Sweet exhaust setup! So shiny!
Thank you!!!

Old 11-10-2022, 02:18 PM

Glad you were able to definitely find the cause. Couldn't have been a better gasket either - cheap, simple to replace, and doesn't really cause any damage when it leaks.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Glad you were able to definitely find the cause. Couldn't have been a better gasket either - cheap, simple to replace, and doesn't really cause any damage when it leaks.
Thanks, I agree!

Quick Reply: Top Swap