Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

tips for replacing fuel pump/droping the tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Default tips for replacing fuel pump/droping the tank

I think my fuel pump has died in my 1997 Z34. The engine willl crank but wont turn over. I am not hearing the fuel pump come on like I usually do. I checked the fuel pump relay and it is working.
My main concern in dropping the tank is it looks like the filler line is hard to get to, it is tucked above part of the chassis and is held in place by a screw clamp. Anyone have any tips on dropping the tank?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi `Allen,
Sorry to read that you are having a problem with your fuel..
When is the last time you changed your fuel filter ?
Could it be clogged ?
Below is a link that may help in removing your tank & getting access to your fuel pump...Good Luck & check back on your question to see `if any of our 5th Gen Monte Member's posts any suggestions to make it easier...
How to Replace a Fuel Pump in a 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo | eHow.com
Click above to view/read ~> Good Luck & try your best to drain your tank 1st

Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've used a floor jack to lower the tank once you get the straps off. a transmission jack would work good if you had one.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the link and the advice!
Just got finished doing a visual under the car and from what I can tell, its just a matter of undoing the fuel lines at the front of the tank, the back f the tank and the filler pipe. After that looks like its just undoing the front tank strap bolts, and loosening the rears.

Does the chassis get in the way of the rear tank straps at all? And does the exhaust pipe need to be dropped for clearance? It looks like there should be enough cleaerance without loxering the exhaust.

I believe the fuel filter was replaced when I bought the car used 6 years ago. It has been running fine ( save for some transmission trouble) and now just doesnt start up. I do not hear the fuel pump operate when turning the ignition on.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You shouldn't need to move the exhaust, not 100% sure though, as you have a y pipe

Try changing the filter first

Does it have spark?

Although if you can't hear the pump, it's probably toast

Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow I thought the 5th gens had the door in the trunk like we did. ****ty, sorry bro wish I had tips for ya but I dont.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM

i just replaced my fuel pump in my 96 Z like 2 weeks ago... it sucks... would have been easier if my father in law would have agreed with me to drain the tank lol... but with a 1/2 full tank we used two jacks to lower the tank... once we removed the front two lines, and the evap vac lines at the front. then i ended up cutting the filler neck hose as i just could not get it off. i had enough left to reuse the line when i installed it all.

the exhaust did not get in the way. it was also easier to reinstall the straps at the back first then the front as they lined up better. i would deff have an air compressor and or strong shop vac handy to clean the top of the tank before opening it or all the dirt sand and rocks will fall in and could damage the pump again. also replace the strainer too as my tore when i was taking it all apart... i was planing to replace it anyway but if i didnt have it, would have required a trip to the store.

if you have specific questions PM me or post em up and i'll answer them.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

U could always cut a top access in to get to it like i did on my camaro really makes things easy, but the above post is pretty good advice

Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM

on the 5th gen monte you cant just cut a hole in the trunk. IIRC the fuel lines are solid coming out of the top of the tank... you need the tank down to get the pump and sender out. also the sender needs turned and twisted to get out of the tank. would not have room to do this inside the trunk.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post back when its done ( if I can get it done at all) and let you know how it goes. Right now, it looks ilk eI won't be able to work on it till Sunday

Quick Reply: tips for replacing fuel pump/droping the tank