Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Timing belt help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Default Timing belt help

Alright so a friend has a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 DOHC, and recently his timing belt broke. He took it to a shop and they preformed a leakdown test and said that the valves weren't bent, but my friend refused to pay the rates to get it fixed so he dumped it on me (lovely).
So of course with the timing belt breaking, my questions is how do i get everything lined back up so I can put the belt on? All the timing belts I've done were replacing, not ones that broke and all were on 4 cylinders, not this big beast engine.
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good news is the engine is a non-interference engine so the belt breaking "shouldn't" hurt the valves. But it is a bit of a pain in the sack, either broke or just replacing just a fyi. Ive done a couple, just time consuming but I'm a stickler for double and triple checking stuff when it comes to timing components.
Definitely replace the idler pulleys, tensioner and all that stuff. for the love of god don't try to reuse the old pulleys and tensioner or youll be doing this again in a few days. I learned that the hard way buy the owner trying to save $$.
Like anything else get #1 on TDC and line up the cams, same principles as any 4 cyl you've done. don't let it intimidate ya its just nuts and bolts not brain science lol.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
Good news is the engine is a non-interference engine so the belt breaking "shouldn't" hurt the valves. But it is a bit of a pain in the sack, either broke or just replacing just a fyi. Ive done a couple, just time consuming but I'm a stickler for double and triple checking stuff when it comes to timing components.
Definitely replace the idler pulleys, tensioner and all that stuff. for the love of god don't try to reuse the old pulleys and tensioner or youll be doing this again in a few days. I learned that the hard way buy the owner trying to save $$.
Like anything else get #1 on TDC and line up the cams, same principles as any 4 cyl you've done. don't let it intimidate ya its just nuts and bolts not brain science lol.
Alright, I lined everything up (not saying I was correct), I started it and it did in fact start and run, but was making an awful awful sound, like a bad rattle inside the engine or something. Any thoughts on what this could be if this engine isn't an interference engine? My friend said it broke while idling so it wasn't at redline or anything when the belt snapped. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is pretty informative since you have a broken belt. Hope it helps point you in right direction.
There are a few special tools you may need to hold the cams if you don't already have them. Skip ahead to the 9:00 minutes into the video unless you want to see the heads and alternator

Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
This is pretty informative since you have a broken belt. Hope it helps point you in right direction.
There are a few special tools you may need to hold the cams if you don't already have them. Skip ahead to the 9:00 minutes into the video unless you want to see the heads and alternator
https://youtu.be/UuF6QMAY2K4
Thanks for your replies! The video was very helpful and now the engine is running great. Now, to my next issue. The hydraulic timing belt actuator is, well, basically destroyed. The rubber boot is completely ripped off. Now, I used the actuator to tension the belt temporarily just to make sure the car runs, and it does and although the actuator seems to be holding up, I don' trust it. Problem is, I can't seem to find one anywhere. And I want to change everything in here while I am in here because frankly, I don't want to do this again. Anybody know where I can find a timing belt actuator? Thanks!