Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tick and rattle, with a slight miss on the passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tick and rattle, with a slight miss on the passenger side

Hey everyone. Now my 350 is making a slight sound, but it is a sound that none of us want to hear. It sounds like a little bit of a rattle and a tick, but it also has a loose rocker arm that I have to tighten on occasion. It does have some trouble with the compression when you first start her, but then she runs like a champ but you can hear the miss out of the exhaust. So I want some opinions. I am deducing worn cam, or bent push rod? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say check the valve springs, and the rockers as mentions, maybe turn it over and watch the valve spring to see if they are getting compressed as far as the should be, the rattle part kind of throws me off...

i had a problem similar to this that i was having a hell of a time tracking down on my 305, ran great but was poping throught the carb a bit when you got on it, miss fired a bit, started to flood out here n there(was verry in frequent) checked springs,rockers ect but never thought to watch the rocker/spring to see if if the lift was the same across the board... pulled the motor turned out to be a whiped cam!
one lobe was literially compleatly round but my car was still running awssome

here is a vid i took not long befor i pulled the motor
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...madison/Monte/
the quality sucks and it sounded like a bomber car... my exhaust consisted of a cherry bomb at the y pipe with pipe having it exit in front of the rear wheel on pass side, you hear it poping throught the carb at the ned of the vid

cam lobe...

Last edited by Budsjlm; 08-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
ran great but was poping throught the carb a bit when you got on it, miss fired a bit, started to flood out here n there(was verry in frequent) checked springs,rockers ect but never thought to watch the rocker/spring to see if if the lift was the same across the board... pulled the motor turned out to be a whiped cam!
one lobe was literially compleatly round but my car was still running awssome

EXACTLY!! The carb is pretty worn too so I was just thinking the carb was about to meet his maker.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Default Update!!!

Well me and the fiance and my step son made a family affair of it and finally dug into the motor. It started with a cam swap and went to oh so much more. First we took the cam out and it was worn to crap. 3 lobes were completely rounded.

The lifters were worn BAD!

Then the timing chain was so stretched it was hitting the cover

Then there was the harmonic balancer

And while I was at it I swapped the smog heads with some 1.94/1.50 126 heads from 1969 I made sure to replace the valve seals before Tony put them on. Then I got a great deal on a Accel distributor. But I still had a horrible rattling sound. Tony checked the flexplate bolts and low and behold I only have 4 instead of 6 and 3 out of the 4 were finger loose. Now the choke is junk on my rochester Qjet so I am looking for a good deal on another carb. So if I haven't been on here. This is why lol. So now tomorrow I get to take her to a local car show. To make the long story more long. Buds was right

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member

good to see you found the problem(s), are you guys making the spring cruise i know your umm nephew is it? is,

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Gotta work but tony and our nephew are going. You gonna be at on the road again?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by montecarloLS350
Gotta work but tony and our nephew are going. You gonna be at on the road again?
I was pondering weather to head down there, may have to go just to check out your monte!, what time is the show running

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Starts @ 10. Its gonna b there.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Thats cool that you got it fixed. Also that flywheel makes a lot of noise when it's loose. Ive had that happen before too. I thought the whole motor was coming apart, but as you brought the RPM's up it would stop making any noise completely.