Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Three knocks after 2 or 3 min of driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Three knocks after 2 or 3 min of driving?

Greetings!

I drive my Monte everyday to the same place in the morning. After driving about 2 or 3 minutes (I yet to time it) I stop at a stop light and I hear three knocks.

It sounds mechanical (like it's suppose to be there) because I can hear it pull in, then knock, then pull in then knock, then pull in and knock. This has happened pretty much every day.

Any ideas what this noise is?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Hi Shandley,
Does it continue to do it every time you stop ?
Is the knocking from the engine area ?
How many miles on your Monte S.S. ?

Please try to post more information on your problem so that our expert tech member's can assist/help.

Have you checked your oil level ? When was the last time you changed your oil/filter ? Is it your original oil pump ?
What equipment has been replaced ?
Are you mechanically inclined ? Do you do the work yourself on your Monte or do you take it to a repair shop ?

Look forward to more detailed information on your problem.
It's hard to give a answer on what a owner hears...Knock,knock whose there ?

We hope that our MonteCarlo Family members can help...

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member

Does it continue to do it every time you stop ?
No, just the once per day
Is the knocking from the engine area ?
No. It sounds like the rear left side but it's hard to tell for sure. Not forward of the drivers seat though.
How many miles on your Monte S.S. ?
70,000 miles
Please try to post more information on your problem so that our expert tech member's can assist/help.

It's a 2001 Monte Carlo SS. All three knocks happen within 1 second. The first time I heard it, I was alarmed. After hearing it for a few more times, it sounds like a preventative maintenance thing... knocking on a fuel line to get any air out, tapping on the rear brakes to mix hot with cold fluid... something to that effect. I know. Sounds like an odd thing for a guy who knows cars to say but who knows on cars these days.

Have you checked your oil level ? When was the last time you changed your oil/filter ? Is it your original oil pump ?
The oil level is good. I change the oil regularly (almost to a fault). I'm a bit of a car guy. The oil pump is original but the sound comes from behind me.
What equipment has been replaced ?
Just the air filter. The tranny had issues but this knocking sound happened way before any repair to it.
Are you mechanically inclined ? Do you do the work yourself on your Monte or do you take it to a repair shop ?
I am very much mechanically inclined but as time goes on, the technologies are getting out of my hands. I can rebuilt an engine properly and will do all repairs myself unless it's the transmission.

Last edited by Shandley; 08-06-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Hi Shandley and thanks for your update.

I tried to do some research on your noise and found several
threads on rear brake knocking from the anti-lock system.

I would suggest checking your brake fluid to make sure it
full, then have your anti-lock brake system checked.

Since it is only happening during your first stop that you hear the 2-3 knocking sounds, it could be in your brake system.

Hopefully one of our member's reads the above & can comment/add to the possible reason.

Check back on your thread over the weekend and see if anyone has additional information...

I will do more research 2morrow...I'm `off to work...
Good Luck

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member

Thank you for your replies.

Remember when I said it was in the back? Listening at my usual stop where I hear the noise, I stuck my head in between my legs and I heard it drivers side FRONT. The brakes make sense but all fluids are up to date and full.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Honestly...both of my Wbodies do the same thing! I've never figured out what it is.

Start the car in the morning.
Start heading to work.
Stopped at first light and there it is "Click - THUMP - Click -THUMP -Click - THUMP"

It doesn't happen all the time, either- it's weird. It does sound like it's coming from the back of the car- I've kind of assumed it's some sort of fuel pump function or something. What, I have no clue.

Maybe this thread will motivate me to investigate further.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM

could it just be the fuel swashing around?
ive driven trucks where the fuel in the tank hit hard enough to actually feel the thump

Just a suggestion... maybe let it go close to empty?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM

Nope, no way. It's definitely something mechanical.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 AM

I stuck my head in between my legs and I heard it drivers side FRONT
<~ LOL

And the Mystery continues...
Found the below on Anti Lock Brake noises +
Check out the below links
Automotive Dictionary - "AN"

Anti-knock agent: A substance like Tetraethyl lead which is added to Gasoline to raise ... Anti-lock brake system: (ABS) A device which senses that one or more of the wheels are ... Anti-noise system: (ANS) A noise counteraction system. ...
www.motorera.com/dictionary/an.htm - Cached
Q&A REGARDING ABS BRAKES

W hen used properly, an antilock brake system (ABS) is a safe and effective ... Also, the valves in the ABS controller may make a noise that sounds like ...
www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/Equipment/absbrakes.html - Cached
How Does ABS Work - Antilock Braking Systems - What Does ABS Do?

At this time, a mechanical noise may be heard. This is a normal function of the self-check by the anti-lock brake control module. ...<~ Maybe
autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/def_ABS.htm - Cached - Similar
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
Wish you Good Luck & hopefully one of our Expert Member's will post on your problem....

If you can't find the problem, record this vid & turn up your speaker's really loud so that you can't hear it LOL....Sorry, I could not control my mouse : )
Tony Orlando & Dawn sing Knock Three Times
3 min - Mar 27, 2008
Uploaded by DiggingThe70s
youtube.com

Last edited by Space; 09-16-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 AM

three things i could think it could be but one could be doubt full. first not enough oil bearing nock. second some thing with the front suspention like power steering related items down to a spring may be busted or a strut being busted or some thing related. third is some thing in the braking system as in a caliper going bad or a traction controll abs system may be going bad or some thing in that area. best thing is have some one go over every thing on it. what i mean is cheack the suspention some thing simpe could be going bad as in a sway bar link if nothing is found there check the breaking abs traction controll system.

Quick Reply: Three knocks after 2 or 3 min of driving?