Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Thermostat Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Default Thermostat Installation

Does anyone have rather detailed instructions for installing a thermostat on a 2004 LS w/3.4L engine? Also, what is the year round thermostat to install (180, 195 degree) for a moderate climate in Central Indiana?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Thermostat Installation

195 is year round for the midwest... as for detailed instructions its very easy. follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine and u will c the thermostat housing. remove the 2 bolts and remove the top part of the housing. remove the old thermostat and gasket then install the new t stat. you may have to drain the cooling system slightly

Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Kweef, if that is your car in the picture, it appears to be an SS with a 3800 engine.

The 3.4L has stuff in the way that must be removed. The stuff appears to be intake crap. Not being familiar with these induction parts, I need to know what to mess with and what to avoid...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 PM

ahh my bad i thought u said 3.8. yes u will have to remove the intake tube. its not hard to do and short of breakin connectors or piercing the tube itself u can pull stuff off without worrying. i would personally unclip the top of the air box, undo the clamp at the the throttle body. undo the electrical connects and the breather tube and put the whole piece out. then u should b able to get the the tstat to remove it

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Kweef-

Thanks much! Am laid off, with time to do these things...

Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 PM

ur welcome and good luck!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM

What....not easy at alll!!!!!!! I'm going to try a crows foot and maybe a stick of dynamite......horrible design for us backyard mechanics. Any good secrets out there!!! thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 PM

if you think installing a new thermostat was difficult, you need to find a mechanic...or get a chilton manual. GET IN THAT ENGINE. GM makes them pretty simple.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 AM

All mechanics say its no fun turning of the bolts 5 degrees at a time!....I changed the thermo once because it was stuck open when I first bought my 2000 LS 2 years ago. I have been trying to figure out the leak in thermostat area and I thought this would take care of it but it didn't!!! My thermo gasket was not leaking at all!!!! The corner bolt for the intake plenum (right next to the coolant temp sensor) was loose!!!! Tightened bolt to 115 in-lbs and long term problem solved. I also read somewhere in these forums that Dexcool doesn't like air.......duh??? I think the expansion tank is open to ambient air!
PS - a few car companies make things simple for the mechanic but they all sure can make em fly off the assembly line! I believe that the recent wakeup call will eventually put chevy back on top!!!!! Spark plugs and thermostats changes so far ..... yuck!

Tonawanda plant rules~!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:49 PM

i have a 3.4 and i find it very easy to change if you take the throttle body off, might take an extra 20 min but it makes the job a lot smoother and easier.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Installation