Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Surging and jerking

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Surging and jerking

I believe my transmission is going out. I can be driving about 65 mph and my car will jerk and surge like it wants to lose all power. Rpm hand will fluctuate with each jerk. I can accelerate hard from a dead stop and it will jerk and surge as if traction control is preventing wheel spin even when it's turned off. It just recently started jerking in reverse. My cruise control even recently stopped working. My spark plugs and wires were changed on December 31st. Ignition control module recently replaced and all coil packs are firing. And my car also recently began to stall out. Once will driving home. And a couple times when I use my remote start as it cranks it stalled and while warming up it will stall and restart itself. So I'm also working during if I have a compression leak. I'm stomped and ready to do an engine swap for an ls4 5.3

Old 01-01-2018, 11:57 PM

My 2003 did some of that a year ago, turned out it was the tranny, had it rebuilt

Old 01-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Denarius23
I believe my transmission is going out. I can be driving about 65 mph and my car will jerk and surge like it wants to lose all power. Rpm hand will fluctuate with each jerk. I can accelerate hard from a dead stop and it will jerk and surge as if traction control is preventing wheel spin even when it's turned off. It just recently started jerking in reverse. My cruise control even recently stopped working. My spark plugs and wires were changed on December 31st. Ignition control module recently replaced and all coil packs are firing. And my car also recently began to stall out. Once will driving home. And a couple times when I use my remote start as it cranks it stalled and while warming up it will stall and restart itself. So I'm also working during if I have a compression leak. I'm stomped and ready to do an engine swap for an ls4 5.3
Not sure what year the Car is or engine etc.
Just checking to see if you have checked all the obvious things like
*the fuel filter
*The Air Filter ( it needs to breathe)
** The Catalectic Converter ( when they are full the stuff you have described will happen too)
*Trans fluid change in the last 25 to 45K? Should be Red in color.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 AM

Check your MAF... Sounds very much like the issue I was having a couple months ago.. Turns out it was screwing with my A/F pretty bad and making the car do what youre describing..

Unplug it and see if most of the issue goes away.