Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Strut Cartridge Jounce Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 PM
1 Year Member
Default Strut Cartridge Jounce Bumper

I cant firgure this out. I replaced both cartridges and ordered new jounce bumpers because the old ones were deteriorating. I ordered Moog part# K90463 which also comes with the bellows. I took bumpers off of bellows and installed them onto cartridges. Now the strut doesnt come up enough to tighten the nut on top of Strut insulator. Did i order the wrong part? Or is there something that Im missing? I come to you's because everyone is so knowledgeable on this site! Thanks.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jeepshane
I cant firgure this out. I replaced both cartridges and ordered new jounce bumpers because the old ones were deteriorating. I ordered Moog part# K90463 which also comes with the bellows. I took bumpers off of bellows and installed them onto cartridges. Now the strut doesnt come up enough to tighten the nut on top of Strut insulator. Did i order the wrong part? Or is there something that Im missing? I come to you's because everyone is so knowledgeable on this site! Thanks.
I ended up shaving the inside of the bumper with a knife and it fit perfectly.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jeepshane
I ended up shaving the inside of the bumper with a knife and it fit perfectly.
I did the same thing with a jig saw. In fact, I had two issues with the Monroe replacements cartridges. I had to wire brush the tops so the cartidge nut would fit. Then the strut nut wouldn't tighten down to the isolator. I had to dremel the ID of a washer to make a shimmy for the excess play.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0897.JPG (1.99 MB, 3 views)
IMG_0898.JPG (1.94 MB, 3 views)
IMG_0899.JPG (1.82 MB, 3 views)
IMG_0900.JPG (1.97 MB, 3 views)
IMG_0901.JPG (1.86 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by matthewboyleZ34; 04-04-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Adding pics