Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Storing your cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Storing your cars

I am looking for ideas on the best way to store my car for the winter. I have asked all the car guys I know, and each and every one of them has given me different advice. So I thought I would come here and get some ideas from my fellow Monte Carlo owners.

I live in Ohio, and plan to keep the car in the garage all winter.

Thanks to all in advance.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Default RE: Storing your cars

Disconnect the battery... and put it on a battery tender.... look for that specific brand, battery tender. The PCM will need re-programmed as to how to run the engine, so give it time to relearn the idle and all... (3 fan cycles, A/C off should be enough, while letting the car just idle.)

Run the engine and transevery week or so... to make sure oil covers all the important parts.... If you put it on jack stands (read below) just hold the brake and shift to drive, then release brake, allowing the car to idle for a few minutes... should be enough to get the oil moving into all the necessary parts. You want to get the engine tooperating temperature, as to reduce anywater contamination in the oil. Obviously do this while thegarage door is open to preventCarbon Monoxide poisoning.A few mothballs in the interior should keep the creepy crawlies away, but don't just set them anywhere, the more hidden the better, otherwise the scent could come back to haunt u. A bit of Sta-bil in the fuel... keep the tank full, and do a oil change before you start driving it again. It's best to get it off it's tires... otherwise they'll develop flat spots, especially if they're stored on concrete. If there's much electrical equipment where it's being stored you might want to wrap the tires to protect from sunlight, and ozone generated by electrical equipment (like that batttery tender)

Some kind of dust cover... if it's going to be inside this will help keep the dust off it, so you don't have a million swirls after you wax it in the summer... Speaking of waxing.. a good wax before putting it into storage is definitely a good idea.

Hmm... thats all I can think of at the moment.... I'm sure some other guys will tune in.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 AM

Wow. And all I do to my mine is park it,disconnect the battery, and drop in some Sta-bil. In the spring I just hook up the charger for a bit and fire it up.

I've only done this once, but I did need to drive it a few times when the truck wouldn't start. Thankfully they were just cold days and the roads were clean.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately My car is a daily driver, winter or not. If I had the money to have a winter vehicle, i'd prolly have an SS too, lol!

Never had a problem last winter. She started like a dream, ran like a top, course I didn't own it until the last half of february.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM

About mid way thru winter I would run the air conditioner to keep the seals in good shape. I would only start the car up once a month max. Use stabil and change the oil n filter before you store it and use a charger but I don't see why you need to remove the battery from the car as long as it is in a garage. If it is store in the yard or driveway beware of mice and rats nesting on the engine.A good trickle charger should keep the battery pretty charged up and ready for use.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

You are welcome to put it in my garage here in Cali. I will take it out every weekend fora short spin to keep the engine in choice conditon.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I plan on changing the oil, disconnecting the battery and put the car cover on. I store it in my parents garage and can't aford any unneccesary dings

Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i dont know how much that sta-bil is but i found out that seafoam does the same thing, pour the can in the tank and it will treat the gas for up to 2 years

Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM

i drive my cars year round here. winters never really get all that bad. free sandblasting in calgary though. they don't use salt/sand mix here only sand/gravel mix so rock chips are the exchange for no rust. (not to mention cracked winshields.