Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Steering wheel squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Default Steering wheel squeak

I've noticed that my steering wheel seems to be squeaking occasionally. The noise seems to be from the steering wheel itself, inside the car.
Since I had a problem with the steering return line bursting last year during the cold weather, I hope this isn't a sign that I'm going to have that problem again this year.
Has anyone else had any squeaking in their steering wheel? I'm hoping this is just a simple problem... like the wheel needs to be lubed or something.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not familiar with that one, but the ISS problem is huge. It might be related to that?
ISS = Intermediate Steering Shaft.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM

I don't remember off the top of my head exactly what the dealer fixed when I had a clunking sound in the steering column before (different than the small squeaking noise I've got now), but that was covered under the warranty.
Now that the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired, if I've got a problem with the ISS, how much might it cost to fix it?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can "fix" it yourself, just have to drop the plastic cover, then pull back the rubber boot and shoot some white-lithium grease in there.

I used gun-oil almost a year ago and it's still sound-free.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

My steering wheel squeaks occassionally but I don't think it's the ISS, my ISS makes the clunk-thunk noise when it needs more litium grease. My steering wheel sounds more like vinyl against vinyl but it doesn't do it all the time.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM

I have an 07 and mine creaks rather than squeaks. I does it worse when it's warmer out. I took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the steering gear whatever that is. It didn't fix the problem. I'm going to take it back but I don't have much faith in them being able to fix it.

I had the clunking in the steering also and they said they replaced the steering cap. This did fix this problem.

Last edited by spitdogger; 11-03-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM

I don't think this is related to the ISS. I've already had that problem, and it was fixed by the dealer. That was the clunking noise. This is more like what Dustybird described.

I did a search on Google for "Chevy steering wheel squeak", and this seems to be a common problem on Chevy cars and trucks, not just on the Monte. One person gave a detailed description (including photos) of how to fix it on a Chevy truck. Others said they sprayed either a silicone lubricant, dash protectant like Armorall, or something called Boeshield T-9 in the gap between the steering wheel and the column, and that seemed to reduce or eliminate the squeak. Some people suggested just turning up the radio so you don't hear the squeak, lol.

It doesn't do it all the time on my car, and it's not very loud... at least not yet.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitdogger
I have an 07 and mine creaks rather than squeaks. I does it worse when it's warmer out. I took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the steering gear whatever that is. It didn't fix the problem. I'm going to take it back but I don't have much faith in them being able to fix it.

I had the clunking in the steering also and they said they replaced the steering cap. This did fix this problem.
Sorry I checked my records and the dealer replaced the ISS for the clunking in the steering not what I said before about a steering cap.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM

nothing like a major problem!
infact just some lubrication is needed!
very easy and do it at home

Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Default Steering Wheel Squeak

I also have a steering wheel squeak. It comes and goes. Infact, yesterday, I was at the service shop for another issue and as I pulled up I noticed it. It sounds like rubber or vinyl rubbing.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel squeak