Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Steering Wheel Controls do not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Question Steering Wheel Controls do not work

Hey all. You guys have been amazing in the past. I have an issue which stems from the previous issues that I've had. I have no steering wheel controls.
They light up perfectly fine, I have a working horn, however, none of the buttons work on the steering wheel. They light up fine, the cruise control lights up green when pressed, however, I have no cruise control. My immediate thought may be the clock spring, however, i pulled one out of another vehicle that had a blown airbag. The steering wheel controls worked fine after I blew the airbags in the other vehicle. However, the new airbag and old airbag have different connectors, so the airbag is not plugged in, and i have an airbag light on. Everything works except for the steering wheel controls when pressed. I do have an aftermarket stereo installed, and I'll try to reinstall the oem stereo to see if I have controls working. Any ideas? Second opinions that the clockspring that was pulled from a car that already blew the airbags is bad even though everything is passing through it?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM

Update: the radio buttons do work, however I haven't tested cruise control. I don't see how having an aftermarket stereo destroys the cruise control. I am installing a PAC SWI-RC and I can't get the steering wheel controls to register. Looks like I've solved the issue of the radio controls....ish. Onward to getting the PAC SWI-RC to work and the cruise control to work

Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 AM

Kind of Need more info about your Car and Head Unit?

Most important thing about an Aftermarket Radio install is that you would need a Aftermarket Radio Wiring kit, Sounds like you have it. Second there should be a Plug infor your cars radio aka Aftermarket radio that your PAC would connect into. Then there is also an BRAND issue. Not all Wheel control Mods work for all radios. Like mine only covers Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. Seeing I have an Alpine it works for me.

About the CC not working. If your light comes on when you press the button however your not getting the control by the car there is something different related.

YOur CC is controlled by your CCM, and is also connected by your PCM. Also your Brake switch if I remember there is 2 one for the Brakes and one for the CCM. What is odd, Is your CCM tells the PCM that it is working and the PCM tells the IPC to turn on the LED.

CCM = Cruise Control Module
PCM = Powertrain Control Module
IPC = Instrument Panel Cluster

James

Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Figured I'd update. Forgot to connect the 12v lead to pin A6 like it says in some of the instructions. All is working perfectly now