Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Steering problems

I had the steering rack replaced when I had the tranny re-built. Unfortunately, I bought from Rock Auto and they sent me the wrong one, even though I ordered the part for the SS, I got the rebuild and it was the one with the wimpy steering, not the one for the SS.
That was 3 years ago.
Now, I got noise when turning sharp. My mechanic says rack is leaking. He says to buy the re-build, but from GM. Hopefully it will be the right one.
He also says I need to replace the Steering shaft coupler, I think its a knuckle joint and the tie rods.

Any thoughts? This sounds like a lot of work, gonna be expensive. then it needs an alignment.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds about right when I had my 06 Monte my rack went out. Dealer replaced it free though. because the car was involved in a re-call for stearing pump they replace the rack too (But i have a great relationship with my dealer)

About the tranny I had to replace mine too at 80K but I got the GM Certa tranny cot be about 4K