Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Default Starting Problem

I am having an issue with my '02 SS. When I turn the key to start the engine nothing happens. The radio and everything comes on in the car like usual, but the engine doesn't turn over. If I hold the key in the start position for a couple of seconds eventually it will turn over. Or if I release it before it starts, let it go back to the On position, then try to start it again it will turn over like normal. This happend a couple of times in the summer then went away so I didn't worry about it. It has happened about 5 times in the last week. My car hasn't been driven that much this past week being the holidays and all and it has been a lot colder than recently here so not sure if that has anything to do with it...any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks

Lawren

Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM

mine does that to,they tell me its the passlock sensor.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Does the security light stay on when you are trying the crank the engine?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 AM

My security light doesn't stay on. The issue only seems to happen when the car hasn't been driven for a few days. The battery is good as I just had it check when my car was in for an oil change/recall

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 AM

My car is not starting more frequent,if i hold the it still does not start,i have been dissconnecting the battery ,then hooking it back up that seems to work so far.its starting to be annoying,cause its my wifes car and she drives 60 miles noe way to work,i should just sell the dam thing.its a true ss limited edition with 64,000 actuall miles,fully loaded.can some give me some answers.thanks shawn...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

I had the same problem and it turned out being a bad cell in my battery.... maybe let your car sit a couple days and check the voltage every day that you dont try and start it..... if the battery drops below 10 volts by the third day.... its prob a bad battery.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 PM

first id start the car and take off the pos.battery cable, let it run for 10 min, see if it dies if it does it might be your alternator.

great battery voltage=14.7
WONT START BELOW 9.5 I BELIVE

i concour id bet its the battery. my dad just had the same problem, he thought it was the cold, which im sure didnt help. he had just bought an autolight titan from advanced, luckily they replaced it for free. you might be ablo to add water and trickle charge but personally id feel better of buying a new one. ive always had goodluck with duralast gold/ac delco stocker.

Last edited by mak330; 01-14-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

my truck does the same thing & it got to the point where it wouldnt start so i bypassed the ignition & wired in a start button, no one could ever figure out whats wrong with it yet

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Default Similar Problem

My 03 Monte Carlo SS is having similar issues. Every so often, it won't crank over. The lights, radio etc all work fine. Relatively NEW battery. It hasn't happened in over 3 months until again this morning. It was happening every couple of weeks or so last fall. An Ask Chevy mechanic suggested I replace the crank relay (located under the hood in the fusebox area). $11 part so I tried that. Obviously that's NOT the problem.

Someone else stated they had the same problem and it ended up costing about $500 for a shift control module (or something like that). The problem is that it's an intermittent thing and as soon as it does crank up, it'll probably be fine for a while. Hard to detect WHAT it is when it's working OK. This is getting to be a PITA because it's my wife's car and she's been stranded at work a couple of times.

Any ideas short of going that $500 route? (That might not fix it either!)

Last edited by Clarkster; 01-19-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Unreal! 20 minutes later, I go out and it starts up just fine. Weird I tell ya!

Quick Reply: Starting Problem