Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starter spins but engine will not crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Default Starter spins but engine will not crank

So what happened was I was driving down the highway and the engine all the sudden lost power. I stepped on the gas and the motor revved up but did not go any faster in speed. Then everything's died on the motor. after getting at home I tried starting the car and the starter just spins but doesn't engage and the engine won't crank. It's a 1997 Monte Carlo LS

Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 PM

How many miles on your Monte ?
What service have you done to your Transmission/engine ?
filters, fluid changed ?
Has your transmission showed any signs of slipping before ?
Does your engine/trans have any leaks ?

Did you check your oil/trans levels ?

How long have you owned your Monte ? Any major replacements ?

* Your Engine could be locked UP ? Trans went out ? or hopefully something else that's less expensive to repair (?) Need more infor without being there...

Please answer the above to help our member's help you!
Thanks

Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Honestly I can't remember how many miles are actually on it. As far as servicing and what not goes. I recently changed the oil that was about a week ago. Transmission fluid level has been good since I bought it. There are no signs of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. Nothing has been leaking except a little bit from when I found out I had to replace the water pump.

The transmission through an engine code when I first bought the vehicle for engine slipping I reset the code and drove it like normal and it hasn't been on since.
I've had the car for a few months now. No major replacements on parts unless you consider the water pump being one of those.
I know the motor isn't locked up because I put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and I was able to turn it without any real issue

Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Hi ZeoFox, It's great to read that your engine isn't locked up & that you can turn it.

Is there any codes ?
Check the below infor
The Most Common Problems With Automatic Transmissions

ezinearticles.com › Automotive › Repairs

Apr 16, 2012 - ... is a problem with a faulty oil pump or an old and clogged up oil filter. ... the increase in engine revs, but there is no acceleration of the vehicle; ...

Please check back to see what our expert tech member's post on your problem...Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I did not see what year it is ... sorry if I missed it, but if old enough could have timing belt

Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

97 timing belt or chain ?

Last edited by shawn parker; 05-11-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Would i be able to shift to neutral if the tranny had aan issue

Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

here us my timing belt story, I once owned a Plymouth Sundance and the timing belt broke, I was lucky as it happened just as turning off the road and was able to coast into my driveway.
next day was day off so I thought DIY, it rained hard all that nigt and next day, some family and I erected a make shift taro over the car
I did the job twice, because the first time I only allign two of the tree points
man what a weekend it was, but I drove it to work for my next shift

Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like 2 separate issues really. I'd focus on getting the starter to properly engage and turn the engine over. You could maybe give it a few hits with a hammer or anything you can get to it with or try replacing it. A 97 LS is a 3100 v6 and would have a timing chain inside the engine and just a serpentine belt outside.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if the starter is just spinning and not engaging, starter is problem(pin) as for trans check the kick down cable?