Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default speakers

Hey all. I have recently upgraded my stereo head unit with an aftermarket touch screen. I did a factory amp bypass because the amp quit working. I need help though. My front factory speakers dont sound very good with the new system. Can someone please tell me if the Infinity Kappa 6.5 inch speakers fit in the front?? And the Infinity Kappa 6X9s fit in the rear deck?? And are these a good choice to go with. I am not running any amp at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-27-2022, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I beleive the odds are good that they will. They are factory sizes, I bought same factory sizes of Massive Audio speakers and they mounted up no problem. As afar as them being good speakers, that may be something to read reviews on. Me, honestly, after all my stereo upgrades, I feel my factory stereo speakers sounded as good if not better. Something about the factory amp / speaker combo that just worked.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey ZIPPY02. Thank you for the reply. I agree, my factory speakers with factory amp sounded good enough for me. In fact when I bought the car it had a kenwood head unit, the factory amp, factory speakers and a kenwood 2 channel amp with 12 inch subs in the trunk. It sounded awesome. Someone stole my subs and amp from the trunk. But, it still sounded with just the factory amp and speakers that I never replaced the subs and other amp. But, now my factory amp has died. I put in a new head unit before I figured out it was the amp. But, I like the new touch screen. I did a bypass of the factory amp. So I have sound again but not as good and the front speakers now are crackily. So, I will replace all 4 speakers for now. eventually I will add a 4 channel amp to run them. That is my plan anyway. The new head unit makes plenty of bass for me. So, I don't need subs or a second amp. I'm more about quality of music than haveing it felt or heard by cars around me. Thanks again for the reply. I just ordered the 2 sets of speakers. I'll update after the install. By the way your monte is awesome.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by riderx2
Can someone please tell me if the Infinity Kappa 6.5 inch speakers fit in the front??
The front sizing is tricky. IMO its not quite big enough to guarantee 100% of 6.5"s fit, so you may be in for some minor trimming of the plastic to make it work. Some audio shops will only sell 5.25" for them to avoid having to modify the car at all (as they can just use trimmable adapters to quickly mount a 5.25 without having to cut on the car at all - regardless what the speaker / basket design is like).

But IMO the low end frequency response tends to be significantly better with 6.5s so its worth your time to do a little trimming of the plastic bucket (if needed) to make them fit (granted thats a pretty extreme generalization that doesn't hold up against speakers across a wide range of price points).

And the Infinity Kappa 6X9s fit in the rear deck??
Yes

And are these a good choice to go with.
Thats a tough question. Its too bad that brick and mortar stores have become almost nonexistent as everyone chases the lowest price on every item online. Audio is a very subjective one where it really does help tremendously to listen to real speakers side by side driven by the exact same source. Id check around local shops to see if anyone is still left that has them (and still uses a demo wall/ room).

The brand itself is pretty good. Its not ultra high end, but tends to be better than average.

Getting reccomendations on specific speakers online though is tough. Very few people (outside of those who actually work in car audio) have direct experience with more than a handful of models (out of a huge sea of options). Personal taste also varies quite a bit - what one person thinks sounds good with a decent amp on hip hop music may sound mediocre to another person with classical driven off a head deck.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I bought same factory sizes of Massive Audio speakers and they mounted up no problem.
Didn't realize you had Massives also, thats what I've got in my 5th gen also. Its a fairly small brand (compared to some of the juggernauts), so its neat to see others running them too.

I ended up with them back in the early 2000s on reccomendation from some folks doing SPL competition with street cars. For driving / music listening, I was having trouble finding (reasonably priced) 6.5s that could handle enough continuous power to hang with my sub setup as I had a fairly healthy 4 channel amp. Id been through a few other brands that should've per the RMS rating, but they just didn't last and was getting frustrated. I was running 8 of them at the peak of my sound system days and they held on like champs.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.