Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Solution to 6th Gen Window issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Default Solution to 6th Gen Window issues

I recently had an issue in my 01 Monte SS in which the driver side window would not roll back up. No fun in Northern Indiana in the middle of February! I saw a lot of posts on here about the same issue but nobody seemed to have a definitive answer. I seem to have resolved the issue and hope this helps, here are the steps I took.

I first went to my local Chevy dealer and got the factory window switch (about $60) thinking that my switch was bad. I removed the door panel and replaced the switch but still had the same issue. The window would go down, but not back up. The passenger side window operated flawlessly with the new switch. I then replaced the window motor ($65) and was able to get the window up by bypassing the switch and running power directly the the wire harness that connects to the switch. This told me that my new switch was also defective. Just my luck, the parts department was closed at the dealership so I got an aftermarket switch from a local auto store ($45) and the new switch works like a champ!

I read a lot about people trying different switches and getting different results so I'm going to assume these switches are very cheaply made. I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the process!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Exclamation drivers side window issue

hey FakeAccident06, I have a 2000 monte and about a year ago i had the same problem, my window went down but wouldn't go back up unless i forced it back up manually. I took off the door panel and checked out the regulator, looked fine, i ordered a brand new regulator and motor off eBay for about $47. I'm pretty much guessing that the motor has just died out. On yours, was there anything you could do to tell whether or not the motor was bad? How would you check for that? And how would you check to see whether the switch was bad or not? I appreciate the help man.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 AM

I don't know if GM uses the same parts in the MC as it did in Camaros but last year my driver's side window motor went out on my 2002 Camaro. I did some research on sites like LS1.com and LS1tech.com and it's not a bad fix to do it yourself. It cost me about 50 bucks for the motor and about and hour and a half to repair it.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM

yea that's what i was thinking. i went ahead and bought a new regulator and motor off ebay for about $47, once that comes in hopefully i can install it right and that will take care of my problem, cause i really don't know what else it could be. but thanks man for your feedback!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

I appreciate the write-up for future reference FakeAccident. But, what I wana how do I get both of my windows to roll up faster then it does now? The volt (battery) gauge on the dashboard is draining power when I roll the windows up and that is strange to me of how much power the windows use... Any help would be thankful!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 AM

im having a problem with my window too. It will not roll down. I can hear the motor but i have to pull down on the window and then it falls onto whatever it is that holds it and it will go back up but it will not go down by itself. Is there bolts or some kind of adhesive that holds the window?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 PM

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo and my window wouldn't roll up either. I took the door panel off and unplugged the motor. I connected the motor directly to a 12v battery and it would not roll back up. I unbolted the motor from the body and tried it again and it rolled up. Later my window wouldn't roll up again, so I replaced the switch because the clicking sound was different from the other positions and my window worked. I replaced the motor as well because of my previous problem with the motor when it was directly connected to the battery. It worked normal again, but the new switch was too bright when illuminated, plus the buttons were painted a bright white color. I swapped the button covers and desoldered the bulbs and switched them to match factory illumination. If one bulb burns out, I may replace all with LEDs if that ever happens.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 AM

One thing you can do to help your window go up faster is to spray silicone on the window frame.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupersportSteve
One thing you can do to help your window go up faster is to spray silicone on the window frame.
I used to use silicone spray in the window channels, but found that during the Summer with the window rolled down it tends to collect dirt. I switched over to a dry graphite lubricant a few years back and have had excellent results with it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

anubody out there no where i can find those upper grill inserts im seeing on the 6th gen montes please help lol i need one

Quick Reply: Solution to 6th Gen Window issues