Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Should I get a bug guard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:17 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Should I get a bug guard?

I just purchased my monte last week and noticed an issue. I have a bunch of small chips on the front of my hood likely due to rocks or debris lifting up in front of me. How could I go about fixing these tiny chips to look decent again? My monte is black, actually the 2002 intimidator.

should I get a bug guard to prevent this in the future? Would this look terrible on the intimidator? Does anyone have pictures with a bug guard on a monte so I have a reference of how it look?

any help and opinions would be appreciated

Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I thought about the whole situation, and realized how impossible it would be to get this many chips in just a few days. I was parked in front of someones house while at work and they were doing yard work. I assume they pelted my car with rocks while mowing. I don't know what to do.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Wow that really sucks for sure!
You can check with them and tell them what happened and see if they have insurance that would do the repairs.
Other wise you might want to look at a front bra for the car.
Good luck

Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Well, its pretty common to notice all these small imperfections when buying a used vehicle.. You dont notice them right away but surely you start seeing them in the weeks after having it yourself.. I was noticing all those chips and scrapes for a month after I bought mine.. Wondering, "how in the world that got there"?? But being mine is kept in a garage, I know it couldnt be anything that wasnt from the previous owner..

You can always wet sand, paint, clearcoat..

If it was from someone throwing rocks out of their mower, Id be over there throwing a fit..

Good luck..

Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

What is the best way to try to fix this? I am completely in the dark about this, I am lost. The chips are all very tiny or small. I am somewhat confused about the whole process.

what products should I purchase to fix this? What order do I do things? I tried to take a picture, but with the bright sun all that could be seen was the reflection, I'll try again later.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM

I put a bra on mine right away, love it, best is Colgan Custom.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CAM00162.jpg (1.19 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Warhorse; 07-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:10 AM

Bras suck. Had one on my 5th gen, and never again. Had paint damage from it not always staying on taut, then there's the issue of the paint fading in the sun everywhere but under the bra. DON'T DO IT.

If you can find one of the guards that go on the front of the hood, do that. However, that's not going to solve the mowing problem, just road debris. That still makes it worth doing.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:09 AM

If you get a good one, like mine, it stays taut, cheap ones don't fit well, do the homework. The GM one I first bought was ok, but the Colgan fits like a drum, and looks good as well.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As for the chip repair, it depends on how much you want to spend. You or a detail shop can do chip repairs if there's not to many, but repainting the hood might be the best option if there's a lot.

Here's a video demonstrating the touch up method:

Here's a good source for touch up paint, their black is a perfect match.
Link: Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup

I've done this before and can say it's an improvement, but doesn't compare to a re-spray.

For protection, A gal at a body shop had her hood covered with 3M "Clear Bra" protection film. Not sure what the cost to install is, but she swore by it and you wouldn't know it's there unless somebody told you. It's basically a clear vinyl wrap. It lasts about 5 years. Easily removable and replaceable.

Here's a video on that:

Last edited by plumbob; 07-04-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo