Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Should I buy an 06 Monte SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Question Should I buy an 06 Monte SS?

Well I'll try to be brief about everything. I've owned a silver 03 Monte Carlo SS for the past 8 months or so. Its loaded, power heated leather seats and the whole nine yards, sun roof and so on, now that its starting to warm up I'm loving it. However I'm starting to have a few problems with it, I have a slow leak in the intake manifold, some trouble with the ABS and now I have to replace one of the front wheel bearings.

Here's where it gets interesting, a car dealership has an 06 SS (blue with the silver ground effects, has the after market SS bowtie as well) for sale for a decent price ($13,000) with alright mileage (145,000 km which is about 90,000 miles) and looks really good, it has everything my 03 has with the addition of a V8! What I am wondering is, after doing some reading and seeing some of the things that have been popping up with the LS4 (oil consumption linked to DOD), should I let this scare me off and just stick with my 03?

My next question after reading some of the threads on here, what is involved in turning off DOD, I hear talk about getting a tune but I need specifics, can I just order a plugin tuner on line, hook it up and set the DOD to off or do I need to take it to somebody who knows what they are doing? This could be a problem because where I'm at (Atlantic Canada) this may be a journey.

Also, since you guys would be the ones to know, what are some things I should specifically look for in this 06 as far as trouble spots? I haven't driven the car yet but I did notice under the hood is a bit sooty which I guess is not uncommon for a 5 year old vehicle but still. The salesman says that this car is a local trade and wasn't acquired at auction (I believe this because I would think that if the car was brought it they would have cleaned it up a bit under the hood). Anyways, any help/input is appreciated here.

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add ? mark : )
Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
I would really try to get a Car Fax Report or Auto History Report on subject Monte S.S.

Check dealer to see `if they have the service records, & if possible to get the previous owner's name & if you would be able to talk with him/her ?

90K is a little over average miles for a 06 SS, but `if it has been maintained (?) it's not to bad...

Please check back on your thread questions to see what our Member's post that have a 06-07 Monte S.S.

Let us know if you get it ~> Good Luck

Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM

If you can't get the 06, Check out the below 05 SuperCharged low 38K~> km's...I believe it's in your area of Canada Nova Scotia ?

Chevrolet ss nova scotia - Trovit Cars

Click above to check it out

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your wheel bearing if you can do it yourself is only like a $75 part. Not too shabby.

The intake leak. Severe meaning the Lower Intake Manifold? Or is it something simple like the Upper Intake Manifold. (it could even be a valve cover gasket)

Personally, If you aren't getting much for the car in the trade and have to pay a lot for the SS, it isn't worth it. But if it's not an issue money wise, then it's not a bad choice.

Getting the DOD disabled is as easy as purchasing a Diablo Tuner plugging it into your ODB-II port, and disabling it.

Look out for the transmission on that car.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Transmission and TPMS issues.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oil consumption and transmission i'd say are the 2 main issues. I'm currently doing the oil usage test and haven't had any tranny problems (knock on wood). at 90,000 i'd check the general maintenance stuff like tires and brakes. 18 inch tires are significantly more expensive than the 16's or 17's on your 03.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

If you can afford the 06 I'd look into it. Especially if it's nicer than the one you have now. I'd have it inspected by a shop you trust and if they give it the ok I say go for it. Also if you own your 03 free and clear I'd sell it myself unless the dealer is gonna give you a fair trade in value.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM

If you wana spend some real good money, my father has a 2006 SS with about 22k miles on it.. Cleaned by a very meticulous son, I may ad.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have had absolutly no problems with my 06 Monte SS. Have the dablo tune but have not disabled DOD (yet). She has 70,000 miles on her. I do have to add that I do not drive her in winter ansd have limited my use of her (Not really a DD anymore)

Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

like the others said - the tranny and oil consumption is the main issues. if you are going to drive it alot look for one with some factory warranty..might have to get an 07 for that. but that will give you alittle time to make sure the car is problem free after you get it

Quick Reply: Should I buy an 06 Monte SS?