Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Shocks are noisy in the morning when it's cold. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Shocks are noisy in the morning when it's cold. Normal?

I have an 2002 MC SS w/49K mi. In the morning the shocks make a lot of noise. It's been colder here than before. Is that normal for cold weather? Or is it time to change them? It seems to ride OK and the sounds go away after 20 min. or so.

Thanks,

Old 01-27-2017, 01:52 PM

mine does that too at 105k especially the rear. I'm gonna change mine this summer its time. but yes a common complaint in the cold damp weather.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM

This is most likely caused from a combination of the the grease inside becoming degraded, and the temperature affecting it. As the strut moves the grease warms up and your ride is not as rough.

You can look at the struts themselves for any grease leaking out of them as you may just need to replace 2. I suggest always doing atleast 2 to make things even. but yes if this bothers you I would suggest replacing the struts.

sometimes it is not about miles and it is more about the amount of time the grease has been used for. I would also check my strut mounts while I am there as the rubber like material used in them can degrade over time as well.

That's just my 2 cents