Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Shift Kits and 20" Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Default Shift Kits and 20" Rims

i read on some site cant remember which one, but they said to not install a shift if ur car has 20" rims or more... anyone know if this is true or what

Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Shift Kits and 20" Rims

No offense, but if you want a performance car, get performance wheels. 20" rims are not practical for high performance cars with a shift kit... You can try it, and it will give you firmer shifts, but larger wheels mean a bigger chance of breakage on your transmission...
Food for thought..

-Keegan

Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM

I've never heard anything like that. May have been an opinion....

My 20's only weigh 45-50 LBS fully aired up, the stock wheel weightare somewhere in between.

He's right though ^^^ 20' are not practical for performance, you have more rotating mass to deal with.
But they look so damn good though, IMO...Not everyone would agree though, specially you guys in the Midwest. No offense.

You can't beat the weight of a multi piece rim...

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

i know they are not but i dont care lol... to me the look is biiger and im trying to go somewhere in between for looks and performance. im not trying to build a complete performance car just one that got a lil beef in it. plus i know the rims are only a lil heavy the over all diameter for the rim andtirescompare to stock are very close. i think on mine they are only about 1" large.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM

I'll 2nd that and I am in the Midwest. Not good performance and it's not so much that they don't look good, it's because they are not practical in this area and that's what alot of people forget.

We have steeper driveways and more potholes. Hell with my stock rims I still have to take my driveway at an angle or I bottom out and I have one of the smoother driveways in WI. There are actually a few stores I can't even goto because their driveways are too steep. Regualar vehicles can, but I've got a factory sport kit with a lower air dam and side skirts.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM

True, True, ^^^ I have friends in Texas who’s trucks don't last.. You’re right on that. My rims would survive one week out there...

I'm trying to get a set of cheap 18' I can tear up on the track or the rainy days...Thats the smallest I can go with my brake kit.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 PM

ok we r getting off topic lmao.... has anyone heard that u can put a shift kit on if u got 20 plus "

Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM

There is no "rule of thumb" when it comes to transmissions, unfortunately. I emailed GM a while ago about how much abuse a stock transmission can take, and they emailed me back basically telling me that there are so many different conditions and variables that they CAN'T give me an answer like that, and that the GM engineers did their best to make a transmission that can take the abuse, but that sometimes it just isn't enough for the modifications that alot of us like to make.

I am going to say the same thing that I said before, in that you CAN install it, but you WILL have a better chance of a hard point breakage inside of your transmission. There is no book out there, nor is there a "guru" so to speak, that can answer a question like yours. Most of the Modifications done to our cars are on a trial and error basis.

Good luck.

-Keegan

Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM

You can put it with a car on 20' just be mindful of the more rotating mass. Don't set it to really firm if you feel it's too much for the car...If you have heavy *** wheels you wouldn't be stomping on it from stop light to stop light would you ???

Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. You know when you are pushing the limit. Use your best judgement.

Quick Reply: Shift Kits and 20" Rims