Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Shaking to death.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Default Shaking to death.

Hey all, I could use some help figuring out a shaking problem. My 2001 SS is currently shaking. Here are the symptoms. The steering wheel shakes and vibrates at all speeds except for when making 90° turns. The car really starts to shake at 40mph either rolling or accelerating and gets worse at higher speeds. The car pulls to the right and starting at 35 mph a "rumble strip on the tires" kinda sounds starts up and gets faster with the speed of the car.

I had the car realigned, I checked tire balance, replaced the bearings, inspected the rims and have no idea what else. The car also pulls to the right and braking has no effect on the shaking. Its just there. I tried swerving from side to side to see if the sound was worse or better but nothing noticeable. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad cv, and if so what side?

Thanks for any replies!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Sean2331
Hey all, I could use some help figuring out a shaking problem. My 2001 SS is currently shaking. Here are the symptoms. The steering wheel shakes and vibrates at all speeds except for when making 90° turns. The car really starts to shake at 40mph either rolling or accelerating and gets worse at higher speeds. The car pulls to the right and starting at 35 mph a "rumble strip on the tires" kinda sounds starts up and gets faster with the speed of the car.

I had the car realigned, I checked tire balance, replaced the bearings, inspected the rims and have no idea what else. The car also pulls to the right and braking has no effect on the shaking. Its just there. I tried swerving from side to side to see if the sound was worse or better but nothing noticeable. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad cv, and if so what side?

Thanks for any replies!

I checked tire balance?? did you have them balanced or just checked? there might be a broken belt in the tire. Also if some one removed a wheel and over torqued a wheel when it was put back on, this will cause the vibration as well.

this one you need to be careful with but you can put the car up on Jack stands then start it up and put it in gear, you should be able to view the front end in motion now and see what is happening. But this is a risky thing if you are not careful. So if you do it be real careful

Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 AM

I am going to guess that there is a Issue with your Sub Frame or Tie Rod or Ball joints.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM

I ended up putting it on jack stands and having a friend put it in gear and i watched the tires as they spun. I learned a lesson from this. Never trust my local tire shop. That passenger front tire was really outta round and the fact i payed money to have it checked sucks since that was the problem the whole time. Well, at least I have new bearings on both sides. Thanks for your help guys and thanks Drivernumber3

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Bummer to hear that Sean; there are certainly are shady vendors around and not just in the automotive world.

Good to hear is working again with no more violent shaking.