Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Default SECURITY

Anybody know what the SECURITY warning is when it comes on in the dash display? Or how to get rid of it?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Default RE: SECURITY

most of the time it is when teh car locks you out of teh ing. system and or it has been tameperde wih.

the way i understand it you have to get it to the dealer to have them remove this one and rest teh puter in teh car.
I know uppluging the puter dont work in it i have tried to do this in a diffrent monte.
Also Fords are teh same way means the theft deternt system is activated.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 AM

It's not on all the time. It comes and goes. Wikianswers said it has to do with a resistor in your key. My spare key has no resistor in it and it took this long for it to figure it out. I guess it depends on the mood of the car.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Mine seems to activate at odd times as well. I still haven't figured out why....

Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 PM

I believestarting in 2000 the passkey system in the Monte didn't use the resistor pellet. It uses RFID technology which is just a passive transmitter in the head of the key that responds to a signal emitted through the key switch.

My wifes 2000 Had the same problem, security light once in a while till she was running late for work. Then no start, no crank, security light on. Ended up replacing the key switch.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM

not sure abotu your keys but i have a 03 and i have no chip in my key at all. it has been X-rayed threw the air port and i watched it go threw there was nothing in the ehad of the key at all.
So it might be just that your dash is going bad/.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 AM

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...nce/index.html

It uses a resistance "code" with no pellet in the key like the late 80's and 90's gm VATS uses. The resistance "code" comes from somewhere to identify the correct key for the car. There is a transponder in the key if there is a "PK3" ora "+" on the key just below the head. For obvious reasons GM will not publish exactly how it works.

I did use the wrong terminology it is not Passkey but Passlock instead.

Not intending to sound like an a** just letting anyone with this type of symptom a possible solution.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my key, not my wifes, has no sign of a resistive connection on it anywhere. It is actually one of thoses spares that you get made at a hardware store. My wifes key looks different. I haven't looked at it yet but I think it has that little contact point on both sides. I need to get it from her and try it to see if it makes a difference.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 PM

That would be the answer. Hardware stores cannot make keys that will work properly for long with our cars. They need to be purchased from a dealership.

On the flip, there is a less expensive solution. Directed Electronics makes a Passlock bypass for about 30 bucks that you can get off ebay. I needed one for my car alarm.

That actually caused its own problem a few months ago.... the harness became slightly loose over time and would intermitantly pop up the SECURITY light and eventually stopped me from starting the car. I just had to push the harnes back in so it clicked.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bilms01

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...nce/index.html

It uses a resistance "code" with no pellet in the key like the late 80's and 90's gm VATS uses. The resistance "code" comes from somewhere to identify the correct key for the car. There is a transponder in the key if there is a "PK3" ora "+" on the key just below the head. For obvious reasons GM will not publish exactly how it works.

I did use the wrong terminology it is not Passkey but Passlock instead.

Not intending to sound like an a** just letting anyone with this type of symptom a possible solution.
Okay, so if my key doesn't have either the PK3 or + on the key, which type of system is it? I also don't have the resistor in the key. I've been told that there is a RF ID tag in the key head that interacts with the security system. I actually spoke to a locksmith about the car las week (the ignition cylinder jammed) and he mentioned PK5 and PK8 keys. If I understand what I see in this thread, my ignition switch may be going bad, is that correct?

Quick Reply: SECURITY